• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ash tray switch panel install for my lockers (w/pics) *large pics*

halg

NAXJA Forum User
sorry...didn't take time to trim the pics...

so after several weeks of driving around with wires sticking out of my diff's i've finally put together a switch panel to hold the switches to actuate the lockers.

i've got an Eaton e-locker in the rear D44 & an Aubrn ected in the D30 front. i needed a panel to hold the two switches and a couple extra that i may wire up in the future for other accessories.

my xj is a '95 manual.

here are the pics:

first, i made a pattern out of thin cardboard from a hobby store.

100_1816.jpg

another pic of the pattern folded up as it will be when fitted into the ash tray.

100_1819.jpg

then, i took the pattern and made the box out of aluminum house siding. I painted the box black and then cut out a piece of thin (.64") aluminum to rivet to the face of the box for strength.

then, i cut out the holes for the switches. the switch for the eaton was a pain in the ass cause it calls for a 1" diameter hole which of course i did not have a drill bit that large and ended up using a sabre saw & rat tail file to try and make the hole the right size. I got it right in the end but a more exact tool would have made the job easier.

100_1821.jpg

another pic of the panel from the front. note the three mini switches on the right. nothing wired to them yet but I figured it was better to put them in now than have to re-create another panel.

100_1823.jpg

a pic of the ash tray which the panel will go on top of.

100_1826.jpg

the panel fitted in the ash tray before running the wiring & screwing the panel into the ash tray.

100_1827.jpg

running the wires into the dash to the ash tray. Note the stock hole in the upper left of the ash tray holder in the dash. this is the hole i used to run my wires into the ash tray to the switches.

100_1829.jpg

final install

100_1835.jpg

hope this helps someone.

Tom R. said:
Curious, what's an "Aubrn ected?"

How do you like the Eaton locker?

Auburn 'Ected' is the front locker.

the eaton is good as far as i can tell. i will say that the eaton is 100% locked which is what i would expect. by this i mean, if i lock it on the street, i can hear the squeal of the rear tires.

however, the auburn etcted which is in the front, while the locking is significant (on gravel I can still feel the front steering pulling towards center), on pavement I can hear it ratchet. It sounds like my tires rubbing on the fenders.

Ah, I see. I didn't know Auburn made a locker for the D30. But then, I've been out of the loop for a while now. Isn't the Eaton a LSD when not locked?

Tom R. said:
Ah, I see. I didn't know Auburn made a locker for the D30. But then, I've been out of the loop for a while now. Isn't the Eaton a LSD when not locked?

nope...the opposite. the eaton is open until actuated. it uses a set of pins to turn the diff into a fully locked unit.

the auburn is LS until actuated. at point of actuation it becomes quite stiff but still not a 100% locked unit. it uses a clutch so there is always some slip. this slip is likely only to be significant to the most hardcore users.

Back