• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The results...

seanR

Want to puff on my pipe?
NAXJA Member
After looking at the "show of hands" thread, here are the results of the voting.

Yes:thumbup:-----------15
No(n) ------------ 3
Undecided. :looney: ---- 6

The yeses were:
ibenxj-----------Indiana
Less Limited-----Illinois
MN XJ-----------Minnesota
SeanR-----------Illinois
Scott Mac-------Michigan
WalterB---------Missouri
Four Wheeler----Michigan
acard-----------Iowa
Rufies97XJ------Ohio
Dark Pitt--------Indiana
Lawn Cher------Missouri
urban redneck---Illinois
poison----------Missouri
Bones----------Missouri
Tim MN---------Minnesota

The Undecideds are:
Intrepd XJ
Gill bullykatz
Rev Den
W_Howey
ILL XJ
All from IL

GI John
KY

The people who are willing to take positions are:
Events Coordinator-----------SeanR
Treasurer or V.P.-------------Lawn Cher
Pimp(a very important pos. :cool: )---Rufies 97 XJ
A few other people have said they are willing to accept positions or help out as needed.

seanR said:
Why didn't you say that in the 'show of hands' thread?

who cares who is undecided?

who cares who is against?

why do names matter?

illinois-3
indiana-2
michigan-2
ohio-1
minnesota-2
missouri-4
iowa-1

15?

thats it?

Thanks seanR ... even though you spelled my User name wrong ... :laugh3:

Thank You Beezil for clarifying the results ... I had a feeling you'd probably remain involved in some form ;) but you left out Wisconsin-1.

Seems 16 interested is all that have said yes ... that's 3% of the membership (even though not all are members).

Looks like the "Show of Hands" threads indicated the "core" areas to be Illinois and Missouri. With this in mind, should the states included in a new Chapter be within a near proximity to these two states? And, should it lean a little more towards Illinois sense it has (5) undecided from that state? IMO the "undecided" do matter when deciding this issue.

Comments ...

Les

Your welcome BG ...

Beezil said:
who cares who is undecided?

who cares who is against?

why do names matter?

illinois-3
indiana-2
michigan-2
ohio-1
minnesota-2
missouri-4
iowa-1
wisconsin-1
16?

I didn't count wisconsin, cause I didn't think bc was serious.

I still don't.

thats it?

Well, I see we already have complications.
I did not count WI either because I didn't think anyone from there was interested. If BG is, that is great, If he isn't please quit complicating things.

I counted the undecideds because they are interested in a chapter so there voice does count at this point of the formation proces.

I listed every one so the names were on one or two pages so we all knew who each other was with out searching through the show of hands thread.

Now if any one is interseted in doing something like spelling out an actual geographic area with the data that has been collected, that would be great.

I am going to Vegas for a week, I'll see you all at Winterfest.

I think you guys are gonna need waayyy more than 15 guys.....

I'm not trying to be defeatist, I'm just speaking my mind (but yer used to that)

you guys might not need more than 15 guys to start, but if this region doesn't grow QUICKLY and DOUBLE in participation in a few months, you can count on it lasting as long as the texas chapter....

Maybe JNJ would have some constructive input to what happened there....

my wild-ass guess is, like everything else in a club environment, is that you have a bunch of people who say they want something, but NO ONE volunteers to do any of the work......

If you guys are serious about this, I would imagine there would be some talk (perhaps back channel) as to who might be interested in emerging as the leadership of the chapter.....or at least volunteers raising their hands.

Thanks Beezil ... will take your advice ... 15 is a start ... hopefully "quality" is the issue not "quantity".

Thanks seanR ... enjoy Vegas ... don't worry too much about "complications" there is a million of 'em and they are just getting started. I appreciate your interest and involvement! I'll do some work here while your gone ...

Les

you absolutly need quantity....

you are gonna need officers (per bylaws)

you are gonna need people willing to do some work

if you only have 15 members, whats gonna happen to the chapter when the first four officers get sick of doing the work?

Of all the people who have ever been involved with naxja, there have been a number of people who couldn't even finish their "term" before feeling like they've been beaten down and just get sick of shit?

I gotta get JNJ in here to see if he'd be willing to share his experience with the texas chapter....Maybe there are some examples to think about, might increase the chances of the midwest chapter getting off the ground.

I gotta get JNJ in here to see if he'd be willing to share his experience with the texas chapter

I would be interested in hearing what he has to say. It would definately go into me deciding which side of the fence to be on.

I'm here. First for those that don't know me, some background:
I was one of the original founders of NAXJA and pulled the first two tours as the Recorder. NAXJA is very successful.
I was one of the founders and first President of the Mid-Atlantic Jeepers, a successful regional club which is still going strong today.
I was one of the founders and President of the Texas Chapter of NAXJA, the second chapter in NAXJA, which failed and has since been disbanded.
What went wrong? What was different?
It boils down to having a strong foundation. The originators of NAXJA wheeled together and had a common goals. Also, after the death of the XJ Forum (Where NAXJA grew from) there was a large base of persons to help get NAXJA growing and continue it's growth today.
Mid-Atlantic Jeepers (MAJ) started as an egroup I started to get local wheelers (VA area) together. We developed friendships and a core of wheeling buddies.
TEXJ, I was reassigned to Texas in 2000. I decided I would try and get a group together to form NAXJA's second chapter and we did. Why did we fail? Well in my opinion, we rushed into it and didn't have the bond to stick together and make it happen. We wheeled a few times together, and had some pressure from NAXJA BOD at the time to sh!t or get off the pot. We failed to develop a good core of wheelers to support the chapter. We had plenty of people to come on the chapter forum (Like this one) and say they were all for it, but when it came time to put up, we didn't have enough support to keep it running. I made some good texas friends and still have them, but I do regret rushing into the chapter thing.
So, all you newer guys, get together, do some "install parties" go wheeling, and the chapter will come. Take your time.

thanks jnj....

(I can't believe I am "thankful" for jnj's presence...first for everything)

john, what are the top three most important priorities in order to form a succesful chapter? in your opinion that is, not like it would be right or anything, just humor us if you can.....

Thanks, JnJ , I believe you've got a very good point there about about having a good core group to make a chapter suceed. I was hoping that we'd have at least twice the amount of people in favor, so maybe at this time we'd be a bit premature in forming a chapter. I'm pretty sure there are others besides me who haven't had the chance yet to do many things with NAXJA. I've only done the un-official Badlands trip in November, and met a few other members on GLJT's Toys4Tots run. While this has been enough for me to realize that I want to do a lot more with this group, I think some more shared experiences will help a lot of us newer guys make up our minds as to just how much we want to put into a possible chapter. With that in mind, my suggestion is to not go too far down the path at this time, see how things go at Winterfest, and take it from there. I'm sure there will be plenty of discussions about it there. I'm not backing away from my support of a chapter, but at this point it really looks like we only have borderline support, and that is coming from a very large area that will increase the difficulties of getting together. When the time is right and we figure that we have a good chance of making it work, I will be happy to serve in any capacity I would be qualified for.
:cheers:

Thanks JnJ ... you hit the nail on the head with "good core group". Beezil ... this was my point when I commented about "quality not quantity". I too am new to NAXJA and am probably a bit naive to everything involved in keeping a group, that is spread over a relatively large area, active and involved.

I see a pretty good core group here, but that is just my opinion. I'll continue to be involved as long as forming a Chapter is a possibility.

Les

lbexj said:
...probably a bit naive to everything involved in keeping a group, that is spread over a relatively large area, active and involved.

15 would be a potential starter group if they weren't spread out so far. All the states mentioned are way too spread out for this to be beneficial. What you really have is around a 1/2 dozen for a Heartland chapter and a few more than that for a Great Lakes chapter.

I've been to the Badlands twice for NAXJA events and consider that a stretch as a local outing. I've put out feelers twice for a Heartland group to include Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Iowa and Nebraska. The numbers just aren't out there yet.

Back