• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Beater truck

collkid

NAXJA Forum User
I’ve been looking for a truck for sometime. Always seem to be hauling stuff either at work or for home.

I really wanted a small Toyota, but was looking at anything and everything.

All I cared about was a truck bed. I actually was looking for something 2x4 assuming the price would be cheaper.

Found this gem and popped on it.

1990 Ford F-150. XLT
300 i6.
5-speed manual.
Auto windows.
Converted and working AC.
Cruise control.
4x4 with manual hubs.
Original family owned.

In the last few years it was repainted and the interior was completely redone.

It is an original Denver truck and was in Maryland for the last year.

Picked it up for $1,750 with a topper.
Sold the topper the next day for $100.

So really. Picked it up for $1,650!

2c1150217db34059d2f953ed49ca165d.jpg

7e1903a7f07b28db576f0e092d6c7636.jpg

Passed emissions!

0860c3371dca9a5da39a2f72bf1685d7.jpg

f2cef7c1b7a03ad9e7e1f1344533f62a.jpg

Fixed the bumper.

f661fa3c9bb954bbf74401d809dcdf33.jpg

From my understanding, the 300 6 is one of the best motors ford ever made. It’s slow, but it goes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The I-6 is a durable engine.

There is no such thing as "fast" in Denver-metro traffic. Adapt your driving style and you will use the clutch and brake pedal less than 98% of the crappy drivers that migrated to this state.

Working AC is a GOOD thing!!!!!!!!!

yeah AC was a big selling point for me. Ironically enough it didn't work on the test drive, but then I got home and saw that it was converted and just recharged it. I can see a small leak that I will have to replace some O-rings on, but other than that its good!

Wax and shampooed the interior.

It was dark by the time I finished the inside but whew! I emptied the dirty bucket 3 times and it was mudddddy and gross.

I’m sure I could have kept going, but it’ll never be perfect.

Just a good feeling to know that I got most of the dirt, grim, and dust out from the last 28 years.

94571f1edd6b0c9fea18aa8f57f47c46.jpg

Come to find out the back metal piece for these Ford go for like $250 in good condition.

And you can’t just buy the new ‘reflector’ for the center which is what I was missing.

Trip to the junk yard, pulled off a reflector from a Bronco.

$2

Completes the look for the truck.

cecf46ab0d4c2017feae4d1f16a7151d.jpg

9256d32ee591214a8eff0e07d792d620.jpg

Looks like you're having fun with this "beater" Jeremy!

Spare tire was mounted with a strap. Sure didn’t feel secure.

This little metal piece was $2 at a junk yard. Funny how his little thing can make such a big difference.

Also. I’m starting to feel old. I keep finding myself saying things like ‘they don’t make them like they use to.’

I was born the year they made this truck, but they use to make cars so simple. Now everything is complex and plastic.

c2fedad9e32e2356be9a72ec2a18c0f5.jpg

So the truck started leaking coolant from the radiator.

It looked original. So I figured it was time for an upgrade.

The original radiator is a 1 core. Super skinny and funny looking. I went with an aluminum 2 core which looked HUGE compared to the factory one.

I've been having the hardest time burping this thing! It has taken me over a week of letting it idle on a hill or with a jack under it to get it to burp. I think I still have a few little bubbles in there, but at least its running right!

Heater is hot and engine is cool. winner.

Just a random update.

I'm continually impressed by this old truck.

Last weekend I had to load it up with gear and take a 100 mile trip up into the rocky mountains.*
I figured I would have to stay in the slow lane behind all the 18-wheelers going up i-70.
I thought I would top out at about 45.*

However, I constantly had enough power to keep up with traffic! Dropped into 4th gear*I could keep 60 going up floyd hill. That's pretty good for this little old thing.

Oh and as a bonus I got 18MPG. Which is what it was originally rated for on the Highway.

Tint completes every car.......

So does a full set of wheel center caps and chrome acorn lug nuts.

Also, your rear bumper has some sort of..... cling-on hanging.

Address these things.

:D

That 300 I6 was one of Ford's best engines, and having a manual transmission behind it is awesome. LMK if you want to get rid of that thing in a few years, it'd be the perfect first truck for my son.

So does a full set of wheel center caps and chrome acorn lug nuts.

Also, your rear bumper has some sort of..... cling-on hanging.

Address these things.

:D

The "hanging" strap is to the crash pad for my mountain bike. Seems to always be flapping in the wind.

And, wheels would be quite an investment for cheap truck. If I find something on craigslist, I'd mount them up.

That 300 I6 was one of Ford's best engines, and having a manual transmission behind it is awesome. LMK if you want to get rid of that thing in a few years, it'd be the perfect first truck for my son.

Yeah its been awesome, hasn't skipped a beat. It does have an oil leak that is driving me crazy. I'm thinking its the rear main, but other than that, thing has been awesome.

Back