• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Beater....... '01 Dakota quad cab

YELLAHEEP

NAXJA Forum User
Until I get tired of it.........:laugh:

2001 Dakota 4x4 quad cab. 1 owner, 5.9, auto, 3" body lift, brand new 31's, MagnaFlow cat back, Jet chip, cold air intake, throttle body spacer, recent brakes, rear air bags, Kenwood stereo system, rebuilt trans with modded valve body, meticulous service history. Near perfect interior, Super straight body, bad paint, 238k miles, salvage title due to a light hit to the left front lca bracket. All for $2,000.

00d0d_7m3RHKCLWEP_1200x900_zps9sajxzdt.jpg

I'll give you fiddy bucks for it! ;)

That's a lot of Dak for $2k! :cheers:

When you part it out I want the roof rack... :D

Wow nice grab. I looked for one just like that because I didn't want the 4.7. almost impossible to find!

I had been looking for 2wd 5.9 R/T's (should have never sold my white one) and found nothing under $3k and those were roach coaches.

This one popped up and yeah, having the 5.9 I had to check it out. Wasn't looking for 4x4, much less lifted.

Lol...... I'll put you guys on a list for when this one needs to go. :looney:

Man....... I'm feeling like a total moron.

Not sure where I got the belief that a person could still register and drive a "salvage" titled vehicle but I got schooled at the DMV today.

I was of the impression the salvage designation kept the owner from further claiming damage from an insurance policy for previously existing damage. Kept an owner from being able to get a full coverage policy that covers loss of the vehicle from future damage......that kinda thing.

So, now I gotta go find an alignment shop or frame shop and see what it's going to take to get a "roadworthy" designation, then get it inspected by State Patrol, then I can get a "rebuilt from salvage" title.

Again..... I'm feeling pretty stupid. I now have a truck that I can't drive on the roads (legally) until all that is done.

:twak:

Apparently there's some sort of search I have to do to determine what damage was assessed by the previous insurance company.

The only visible damage is a good sized whack to the lower crossmember by the driver's lower control arm and a ding to the exhaust cross over. Otherwise, nothing else. All body gaps are fine and look as they should. It basically looks like the front tires/wheels can't be aligned within the vehicle's required specifications.

I'm such a dummy.......

oooh, when you said "salvage title", I was assuming rebuilt from salvage, since the term is usually used that way. This one was totaled out and never retitled. PITA. You should just give me the roof rack I guess. :D

Yeah for some reason I just was of the belief that if insurance totaled a car to the point it wasn't road worthy, NO title would be issued. The insurance auction houses seem to advertise bill of sale/parts only for the bad wrecks. The ones that still run/drive get "salvage" titles and get sold and those vans full of border jumpers drive them on the roads back to Mexico.

Pardon my whining. I'll get over this and hopefully learn how to do this process and get it corrected sooner than later. The truck is definitely worth saving. I just truly HATE the DMV and all the rules in place to supposedly protect me from myself.

Apparently I can't read either......... printed in bold letters across the bottom of the front of the title: "THIS VEHICLE HAS BEEN DECLARED SALVAGE AND MAY NOT BE REGISTERED" :doh:

So this one still has an actual salvage title? Did they change the process or did you manage to never buy a salvage titled jeep from klodes back in the day?

It used to be that you just fixed it (they never really checked what you did, only really wanted to see receipts and if airbags went off), filled out a form, had it inspected (state patrol or certain county sheriff depts), brought everything to the dmv and after explaining to the person at the dmv how the process should work because they never knew, got a rebuilt from salvage title.

Yep. The original owner of this truck banged it up, took an insurance claim, bought it back and I bought it from him. Dunno the process he had to do to get the "salvage" title but that's where things are currently.

The gal at the DMV printed out the "rebuilt from salvage" title process for me and said it's not unusual, just that the process for roadworthiness tends to be time consuming.

It just seems to me at this point that I could take it to my alignment shop, find out how out the driver's side is, then look into using a porta-power to move the control arm bracket forward releasing the bind and correcting the angle. What I don't know is if presenting a before and after alignment printout will be enough to get past the assessed damage that got it totaled by insurance in the first place.

Worst case...... The damaged lower crossmember looks like it'd be something that I could plasma cut off, clean up the weld locations, cut another off a donor, and weld it in and things would be pretty squared away.

um, isnt the inspection performed by a fellow brotha in blue?? :eyes:

I think the big deal is to get someone to sign off on the work.*

*Yes, I kept that vague on purpose.

I'm less subtle, Mike :D

LOL...... the end inspection has to be done by a CSP Certified inspector. Can't be done by just any LEO. Sounds like if I bring in before and after pics, receipts, description of work done, that gets taken into account along with a visual inspection to ensure nothing about the vehicle constitutes an unsafe / not roadworthy vehicle.

Pics of the damage:

IMG_20170525_153337323_zpsaa02sxrn.jpg

IMG_20170525_153323439_zpsf3kgfz1n.jpg

IMG_20170525_155538909_zps9xtg7ei2.jpg

IMG_20170525_155732931_HDR_zpsimzuzmsn.jpg

I found a black fender and headlamp at Littleton U-pull to fix the damage from him hitting a sign post and got that swapped out already. Like I said, I'm guessing a good chunk of the reason to total the truck was the repair and paint of the fender would require a full paint job of the truck given the bad paint it has, coupled with the frame hit.

I talked to Seth (proracedriver) to get his advice and he VERY generously offered to put the Dakota on the frame rack at work so it could be measured and make a determination about actual frame damage. Hoping to get that done Friday evening or the weekend. That'll help me determine if its worth throwing any more money and time at this truck.

He can provide a before printout and then if repairs are made, I can get an after and that should be enough to satisfy the inspector......you'd think anyway.

I've already got it emissions tested and insured...... probably have to get it re-tested as I doubt I can get it fixed and inspected before the test expiration date....... :mad:

Last edited:
I like yellow and all........ but no.

That and he's high as a kite on price.......

Back