• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

just another poopbox making its way to 1tons. " project neglected"

616_97xj

NAXJA Forum User
Well, im a noob here on NAXJA. so please direct me to the right place if im ever in the wrong!

suppose id start a build thread.

little back ground - Im a 24 year old punk from west michigan. I love XJs, ive owned 2. My first was a 95, got it bone stock. Its life was ended due to more then typical Michigan rust and negligence. I learned alot from that old gal. she died happy on 4.5" and 33s with 280 on the clock. She was my DD weekend warrior.

24_zpsbnqtnehy.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The old gal on the right.

After she passed, I got out of the jeep life for a bit and went back to the gas mileage phase. having a 30 mile round trip to work and back, making what felt like pennies on the dollar. I ended up with a honda :doh:

About a year later - I ran into a situation. Or rather my buddy did, and he was strapped for cash. He had a 97 xj sitting in his garage that id been helping him build over the past 2 year(was extremely slow going). we had started installing a 4.5" lift on it, started 2x6 tube rockers, removable doors, and never finished a single project on it. You probably guessed right - it ended up in my possession. looking like this.

4_zpsxekdkgzl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

7_zpsz2mchbu6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

8_zpstbm0cbii.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

so my first project was getting some floor board work done. I failed to get many pictures of this, but im sure many of you know what its like, ooh it was a joy. - this is when i still had a crummy HF flux welder.

10_zpsefiyjd6d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

2_zpsucy3flhm.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

53_zpsohbjhjox.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Re: just another shitbox making its way to 1tons. " project neglected"

After getting the floors wrapped up. I found a set of 33s on streetlock wheels for a good deal so i went and nabbed them up

11_zps2omwqay2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I then moved so the jeep finally got a garage to sit in, though it was tight...and a small one stall, it worked.

14_zpseet6nclo.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

After settling in at the new place with the "love of my life" (hahahaha joke was on me) I started collecting some parts again. ball joints, Ruffstuff steering, Ruffstuff over the axle track bar and got to work.

15_zpsnkhopjmc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

16_zpsj1kbeh8v.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

17_zpszlf3dtob.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

18_zpsjjp8pko8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

No the EMT joint, was not kept as a spacer...

20_zpsnya1h9gs.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

got the steering all set up, then decided to fab up a little "mini truss"

26_zpsyf8sgwbn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

27_zpstdkqsb4n.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

got everything tacked on with my HF flux welder, then brought it into work to have everything fully welded.

By the time i had got my axle back to the house. A few more goodies had showed up.

22_zpsjoqfr5fw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

21_zps4uqfnada.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

started working front to rear on the stiffeners. didnt get many pictures on them either, but they are all on. after doing the fronts with the HF flux, i decided to hold off on finishing them until i could get to it with a nice MIG.

23_zpsmcraphai.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

and as usual, the steering spacer broke so I ordered one of these bad boys.

29_zps8aeb62aj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

shortly after I had the front axle back in and squared away... I found the lady in bed with another man. it almost costed me 99... - must have been spending to much time with the jeep... id soon learn that I missed her cooking, but we were better off without her.

Me and the jeep headed back to my parents house - thankfully they were understanding. Pops wasn't too understanding of me taking the Garage over however. it all worked out.

I continued working on the frame stiffeners, got to the rear and had to deal with this.

32_zpsm4lozepi.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

ended up cutting it out, and making a small "wrap around" patch for it. then welding the stiffeners over it. - cant seem to find pictures of this either.

i also did my HDoffroad Shackle Relocation brackets at the same time.

31_zps3xmibkkv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

33_zpswqo89h47.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

As I finished those up. I found some Clayton long arms and crossmember for a deal i couldn't pass up, so i nabbed them up.

30_zpstrzsnkxd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

35_zpstrymnwkt.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

my next issue was the rear shocks. the PO before my buddy had welded the upper bar pins to the body. took me a few hours finagling with the angle grinder and they ended up falling out. I then made some U shaped brackets out of some 2x3 tube laying around, burned them in and threw some typical shitty white bodys on for the time being. - no pics.

I then picked up an IRO hack and tap SYE. got that installed with the XJ front drive shaft, freshened up with new Ujoints threw out.

36_zpsagergqg3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

^ got that all done the morning of the blessing 2014. had a trailer in the driveway...truck died. didnt end up making it up. so i took the jeep over to a local spot and did a little flexing and posing.

GEDC0432_zps049c3a81.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

GEDC0443_zpsb7337017.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

not long after a set of 35" BFG A/Ts came into play, they were worn, but they were free, so i went for it. drove the jeep back and forth to work a few times.

FB_IMG_1427235562447_zps0h5cj0tx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

found a deal on some 14" travel Fox resi, decided id throw them in the back, as I had already order 12" travel Bilsteins for the front. - white bodys suck.

37_zpschqihj2k.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

ordered some Hoops from Ares Fab

38_zpsuiqgeyfp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

and rigged this mess up

54_zpslh3pplug.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

the difference in ride quality on and off the road was outstanding coupled with the 5100s up front.

then, this happened.

56_zpsazydsfrz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

nothing major, cracked manifold. decided to upgrade to the 99+ intake while i was at it. That got some ricer candy red paint. was also shaved of all casting numbers and lines.

55_zpssrxl868r.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Also ended up doing the WJ power steering pump Mod while I had everything torn apart... thanks to A1 cardones, it was apart roughly 3 more times.

57_zpsdvquuoco.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I ended up drilling out the XJ high pressure adapter to match that of the WJ fitting. I also ended up running a T off the return line to use both returns on the WJ reservoir.

this mod for sure helped turn the 35s.

then I took it for a little flex test.

40_zpscdu3iazn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

and did a little wheeling.

43_zps8vt3qcsw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

42_zpsxodu0zf0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

41_zpsi54fp5sx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

64_zpsffmtbasi.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

61_zpswjo1jpnm.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

63_zpsmntgvqvc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Screenshot_2015-02-09-19-41-07_zpspi4vdhl4.png
[/URL][/IMG]

2014-12-26%2001.34.25_zpspmegip0l.png
[/URL][/IMG]

51_zpstws81xpx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

50_zps53q1y43k.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

47_zps0gleg0j2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

cute little blonde i picked up.

46_zpsofnsf505.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

48_zpscvfe4rrd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

some of the pics are very low quality, apparently my comp didnt like the go pro...

nice. love the thread tittle.

some where in there I also added a few cell. after my first trips to rocks and valleys i cracked the plastic one.

66_zpsa40zevl5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

i pick the cell up of craigslist. 6 gallons, small but last almost a full day at R&V, depending how much im in the skinny pedal. i choose to run the E2000 "ford" pump, mounted under the cargo floor. with a WJ? i believe it was fuel filter due to the built in regulator. then plumed to the factoy hard lines. its worked fine, of course i have no fuel gauge, but its not hard to check, and i keep a spare 5 gallon tank with me.

I like 4.5 and 35s, but i wanted more. I made the decision to step-up to one tons after my last wheeling trip to rocks and valleys.

so like an idiot, i stipped the axles out from underneath it, sold them, sold the tires and wheels. and let it sit on jack stands.

but not before i chopped the cargo area roof off.

67_zps98epailb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

picked up a set of 79 ford d60s

IMG_20150101_193353_zpsqkeao13n.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

first mission was to find rear shafts. one was missing and one the splines were slightly twisted on.

I found a set on GL4x4 and plan to keep the slightly twisted one as a spare.

next was brackets..

I made the decision to do away with coils and shocks - itd be more expensive up front..but it would be done and not have to worry about upgrading later.

I placed an order with ballistic for Lower mounts with coilover tabs, 3 link tower, over axle track bar bracket, and rear disc brackets.

IMG_20150207_132030_zpslsdegmba.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I went out on a limb and ordered 16" C/Os from F.O.A. still hoping i can squeeze them under the hood.

IMG_20150213_123706_zpsk6vufg9s.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I kept my clayton x member as it was already welded to the uni-body stiffeners and will run my lowers off that.

seeing how tight it was and knowing I wouldnt be able to fully weld claytons 3rd link bracket to the x member, I contacted Brain "Hobag" over at HDoffroad he worked with me and sent me just passenger side bracket to his 3link kit so I could chop it up and alter it.

I ordered all my link tube and heims through Barnes4w - great customer service and quick shipping.

20150305_130655_zpstunxlizr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

69_zpsgztnyfeh.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

just another shitbox making its way to 1tons. " project neglected"

went out on a limb and ordered 16" C/Os from F.O.A. still hoping i can squeeze them under the hood.

[URL=http://s1254.photobucket.com/user/jeepnmud/media/IMG_20150213_123706_zpsk6vufg9s.jpg.html][IMG][/QUOTE]

Won't happen unless you don't mind having it retarded tall with no up travel

More pics of blonde

yes, more pics of said blonde....jeeps are not really our thing around here :D

well that escalated quickly lol

nice thread. nice jeep

Won't happen unless you don't mind having it retarded tall with no up travel

More pics of blonde

yes, more pics of said blonde....jeeps are not really our thing around here :D

What these guys said.

P.S. nice build

ehh stupid tall is far from my goal. through the hood it shall be then.

I must ash hows this one :greensmok

2015-04-23%2014.10.29_zpswfr7uzgc.png
[/URL][/IMG]

she was fun. we've gone our own ways, but shes still my nurse/doctor.

2015-04-23%2014.09.41_zpsxxt1jf0d.png
[/URL][/IMG]

rear 60 getting broke down and worked.

72_zpspcouunvi.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

picked up some 70s chitty rotors

75_zpssepcf0pp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

nearly 200 view in a day... :shocked:

man if only i could keep pictures coming at the rate i posted them. HA.

sad thing is we are close to being caught up with my progress...maybe il drag it out a bit.

anyone have experience with PAC racing springs? hows there service?

ive been eyeing some of there pretty orange coils for awhile now...

thinking 16"x250# main, with 12"x175 tender and helpers of course. thats just going off everything that ive read between here and pirate... firm/med firm valving on compression and rebound.

I do not have any weights yets, im guessing itd be in the ~1000 a corner range...pretty much stock under the hood, inner fenders cut out, light tubing work, light weight slim front bumper, no winch...

will probably have right around 750# in unsprung weight between the 60 and 40s...

Polar jeep guy has Pac springs on his but they are just regular coils not coils for coil overs.

Smash hole just bought coil overs for his. Not sure what brand

Go Orange. When the time comes mine will have Pac springs but for now it has misc 200/250s. Basic same set up as yours but 16" Race Runners tucked under the hood on 40 LTBs.

Ive also heard good things about QA1 springs. Was down at the race shop last night, and thats what they run on the late models and ARCA series cars... however those are clearly not QA1s "high travel" springs, and have not found any reviews on them yet. some more searching is in my future.

just another shitbox making its way to 1tons. " project neglected"

That's sprung way too heavy. Redo your math with 2-3" of preload. At full extension the preload with help rebound

Back