• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PSC 4.6" power steering pulley?

I felt the difference just backing out of my driveway! Since I've only got the use of one arm, steering is critical to me. I did drive for about three days before I installed the cooler, but I also think that going from a almost 3' rubber line to about a 16" extreme pressure line(PTFE - same product used as brake lines) may have helped some. I hardly ever use any throttle when on or off-road, so the engine is usually at idle speed.

I forgot how effortless my XJ steers with a PSC 4.5 pulley, pump and box, until I took a stock XJ for a test-drive this weekend. Difference is night and day. I'm adding a larger trans cooler (bypassing the radiator) and re-purposing my factory external trans cooler for a PS cooler next week.

That's for sure! I had the twins (big bother and little sister) both out again this weekend.
IMG_0379_zps6bvsh5yi.jpg

A little update. I don't drive my spare 2000 much, but when I got in it the other day I really noticed the difference. It's only got 31x10.5's compared to my 265/75/16's. It makes me not want to drive it a lot!

Bringing this back up because you linked it in the other thread and this is the first I've looked at this pulley. Seems like a super simple mod. I'm surprised I don't see people talk about this more.

Any idea of the size of the OEM pulley/how much smaller this one is?

What's the catch? Risk of over-revving the pump if you rev the motor up too high?

Seems like a nice bump in steering pressure for almost no work compared to going hydro assist.

Seems like a super simple mod. I'm surprised I don't see people talk about this more.
Any idea of the size of the OEM pulley/how much smaller this one is?
What's the catch? Risk of over-revving the pump if you rev the motor up too high?
Seems like a nice bump in steering pressure for almost no work compared to going hydro assist.

I believe the factory pulley is 5", but you can easily measure one!
I don't know how you could over-rev the pump with a 4.0!

Ive been running the 4.5" PSC pulley for about 9 yrs. Works great to give a much needed pressure bump at crawl speed.

Back