• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New KL

Wiser

NAXJA Forum User
Just bought a 2018 Jeep Cherokee Latitude. Not a whole lot on the web on these. Anyone out there have one?

I know I don't, but I noticed that you also have a '91 XJ. Aside from the obvious bells and whistles, in your opinion - how do they compare?

I know I don't, but I noticed that you also have a '91 XJ. Aside from the obvious bells and whistles, in your opinion - how do they compare?

Sorry barely saw this! My take on the new Cherokee KL is it would take a lot of upgrading to get it anywhere comparable to my 1991. Unfortunately, I didn’t buy the Trail Hawk(like the rubicon) edition so I can’t speak for that trim. My wife and I bought the Latitude edition. Basically it’s equipped with an all wheel drive system. It does not have a transfer case. The drivetrain is what’s called the ActiveDrive1 with the hammerhead 2.0L motor. Im getting about 26mpg. The AD1 is controlled by turning a knob to select the terrain or road surface you will be driving on. Basically all it does is change the shift points in the 9speed transmission. They’re starting to get some aftermarket support with lifts, armour and such. Only time will tell how people will be modding these jeeps. In the end, I bought the Jeep for my wife and newborn. I feel it does its job as far as a safe family car but comes nowhere close to the XJ.

Last edited:
I have a friend with a old cj and his wife has the Trailhawk we went and did some easy trails a few weeks ago and I must say I was impressed the stock Trailhawk did very well. It certainly could use some ground clearance though.

I have a friend with a old cj and his wife has the Trailhawk we went and did some easy trails a few weeks ago and I must say I was impressed the stock Trailhawk did very well. It certainly could use some ground clearance though.

The trailhawk is definitely impressive for what it is. Wish it came with solid axles and an actual engine/trans/transfercase

Last edited:
The trailhawk is definitely impressive for what it is. Wish it came with solid axles and an actual engine/trans/transfercase

Honest, it actually does have an engine, trans, and xfer xcase. :}

I recently bought a used 2014 trailhawk with the V6. My only complaints are the anemic headlights (fixed with an HID upgrade), and how aggressively it upshifts. It tries real hard to keep your rpm under 2k to maximize your mileage. Stomping on the pedal usually means waiting 1-2 seconds while it downshifts a few gears. Or you reach down and click it into sport mode which is far more fun to drive, or top the shifter over and force it down a gear or two before you gun it to pass. That 271 HP is kinda nice too. The remote start with heated leather seats and steering wheel are awesome in winter.

On-road, it handles very nice. Off-road, it's very capable although it feels way heavier than my MJ (5.5" lift on 32s) - which makes sense as it's over 1000 lbs heavier. I much prefer the MJ for blasting full speed through snow and mud.

I worked with a guy who bought brand new trailhawk first year they came out less than a year later he traded it off because of transmission problems.

Anyone out there have one?

Driving a 2015 Trailhawk V6 for the last year and a half or so:
have only plus sized the tires, 245x70r17 Hankook Dynapro At2
It's comfortable, and delicate, the gizmos and doodads keep it moving when needed as tires grab air while off-road. It likes a little momentum I've discovered, but I have a hard time wanting to give it much of a bump (just feels delicate). Gas mileage is nice if I keep off the skinny and stay the speed limit.

An old battery (an optima someone put in, 2017) was disabling the auto start stop feature for me, that was nice. It's a feature which bothers me to no end. Well a cold day no start and new battery the other day now I have to put up with red light and parking engine stop/start shenanigans. Looking at disable solutions rather than pulling the battery checker lead, there is the Smart Stop Start or the OBDLink option $130 to $120 respectively (still just empty every pocket now with European panache)

Back