• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

First Step

TriZZle904

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1995 Cherokee Sport(automatic) and im focusing on exterior aesthetics and then im going to move to performance so i was wondering what i should do first to move my car towards being faster (quarter mile)...

TriZZle904 said:
.....im going to move to performance so i was wondering what i should do first to move my car towards being faster (quarter mile)...

Start copying my performance mods beginning with the intake and then the exhaust.
I've maxed out on all the external bolt-on mods and two months ago I added a ported/milled head. CR is now 9.1:1 with the milled head and thinner head gasket. You'll find the details on my website (thanks CheapXJ :) )

The two greatest areas of improvement, besides power increases, are aerodynamics and weight.

The XJ is a brick, with lots of frontal area and drag (just try to not add more drag if possible).

Lightweight is an XJ benefit, due to the unit-frame and modern construction. When considering other improvements (sound system, interior changes, accessories, etc.) make an effort to recognize that the added weight may impact the performance.

If in doubt about the weight, make it removable for runs at the track.

Remember flywheel weight has a significant impact on performance. Tall and heavy tire/rims will restrict the vehicle performance. The balance between traction and tire size should always be considered.

Ed A. Stevens said:
The two greatest areas of improvement, besides power increases, are aerodynamics and weight.

That's right, so I've worked on those two areas as well.
My XJ is 85lb lighter than stock since I've removed the front skid (18lb), gas tank skid (32lb), roof rack bars (13lb), lighter exhaust (14lb saved), removed clutch fan (5lb), removed plastic engine undertray (2lb). I could save more if I remove the spare wheel (50lb), jack, rear seats, and run with only a 1/4 tank of gas.
For aerodynamics I've removed the roof rack bars, installed plastic headlight covers, and installed a front airdam.
Tires are 225/70R15 high performance "H" rated street radials.

Back