• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Fest - Details

Grant

NAXJA Lifetime Member
NAXJA Member
The first part of XJ Fest 2004 will take place from Aug 8 - 14, 2004.

Aug 10 - 14, Buena Vista.

Ouray is located in the SW corner of CO. Buena Vista is centrally located within the state.

Ouray trails. trails will be run Sun and Monday. Trails offered will be easy or medium. Mostly scenic in nature, the trails can be done by an experienced driver in a stock vehicle. Trails rate 3, 4, and 5 out of 10.
The hardcore guys have the option of travelling to Montrose to take on some of the hardest trails CO can offer. The Montrsoe trails rate 9 and 10 out of 10. Body damage certain.

Tuesday will be a travel day to Buena Vista.

Buena Vista trails. Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat. Every effort will be made to run three trails everyday. Easy, medium, hard. Extreme trails will also be offered, but are located a little further from BV. a Holy Cross trail is planned and will be an overnight, not final yet, but probably Wed, Thurs. Holy Cross rates 8/10. Most trails are located within an hour of BV.

Ouray and BV are small towns that rely on summer tourist trade so early booking of accomodation is advised. "Official campgrounds" will be chosen by mid-march. Both towns have auto-parts stores but do not rely on them carrying your specific parts. both towns offer attractions that are not 4WD orientated.

More info to follow in the 2nd week of March.

Volunteers needed for trail leader/tail gunner duty, camping/accomodation co-ordinator, sponsor liason, safety/equipment inspector, and a couple other positions.

Please post questions to the "plan of events" thread.

Grant

Hi Grant I was told that you are leading this ride. I live in Leadville and work in Beaver Creek so I know this area pretty good. So if you need help please let me know.

Any firm word yet on the camping spots or where everyone is staying?
Come on August...! :roll:

Carnage Gulch

I came acoss the Carnage Gulch trail today,which is adjacent to Old Chinaman's (same way in...sounds like the trailheads are within five minutes of each other). Check out the thread below concerning the trail - they are saying it rates about the same difficulty as Independence. This sounds like an excellent choice for the extreme group :yelclap: .

http://www.colorado4x4.org/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000625

Nay

Re: Carnage Gulch

Actually I would rate Carnage more for the BOTW crowd. It is the third most difficult trail in CO I can think of. Avalanche Ranch and Montrose rate higher.

But the plan is to offer it for the hardcore guys during the BV portion of the CO NAXJA deal.

BillR - we should have campground/headquarters finalized within the next few days. I think it will be announced next week, and then I advise booking early. The CO highcountry can be pretty full come summer time.

Re: Carnage Gulch

Nay said:
I came acoss the Carnage Gulch trail today,which is adjacent to Old Chinaman's (same way in...sounds like the trailheads are within five minutes of each other). Check out the thread below concerning the trail - they are saying it rates about the same difficulty as Independence. This sounds like an excellent choice for the extreme group :yelclap: .

http://www.colorado4x4.org/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000625

Nay

Ooo, that trail looks good! :cool:

Jes

Back