• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some help

01greenxjsport

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I have a Dana 35 rear axle that I want to swap out but my dad is saying that I don't need to fix what ain't broke. I know it's not the strongest axle and I'm wanting to get a rear locker which I know locker+33s+d35=boom. so I'm wanting to go ahead and get an 8.8 with 4.10s because I can get the entire thing from my local pick a part for $60 + a $10 core charge I just need a good arguement against my dad on why I need to go ahead and do this now instead of waiting for it to break and then swapping.

Thanks, Andy

It's preventative maintenance! Show him some of the facts about each axle, standard builds for each, etc. Explain what you want to do and why that your plans include the 8.8 axle. Then for your secret weapon call around and get a qoute for an offroad tow bill. If he says no, stay cool and casually bring it up at a later time.

haha i told him the preventative maintanence but he still insists on his rule of thumb "if it aint broke dont fix it" but ill try showing him some builds thanks

Andy

Then tell him when your D35 grenades on the trail, he can come pick you up and have your XJ towed home. It's like wearing a helmet if you're doing downhill mountain biking. I don't wear a helmet because my head is broken...I wear it because I don't want it to break.

No offense, but I'm guessing he isn't of the mechanically inclined type, is he?

First off, are you paying for the axle swap or is pops? If you are paying for it than I don't see why you couldn't persuade him by saying you are investing in the reliability of your jeep. If he is going to pay, than you pretty much have to go with what he says. Also, tell him it is a learning experience, you want to increase your knowledge of mechanics and fab work by swapping in the 8.8, I mean you will have to cut off the old perches and mounts, place the new ones so that you have an acceptable pinion angle, etc. It always fun to do projects with your dad so get him involved with helping too.

he actually is mechanically inclined he was on a pit crew for a small race team here in NC hes just cheap :banghead:and yes im going to pay for it the thing is that i was wanting his help on it but since he doesnt want it done in the first place he doesnt want to help hes already said he doesnt care what i do to the jeep but if i break it he wont help me fix it (he will hes just tryin to be harsh)

he actually is mechanically inclined he was on a pit crew for a small race team here in NC hes just cheap :banghead:and yes im going to pay for it the thing is that i was wanting his help on it but since he doesnt want it done in the first place he doesnt want to help hes already said he doesnt care what i do to the jeep but if i break it he wont help me fix it (he will hes just tryin to be harsh)

Ask him why they install driveshaft loops on race cars if the driveshaft isn't broken. :D

Sorry, I'm going to get you in trouble. How old are you Andy?

Yea how old are you? If you are paying for it then go buy the axle and do it yourself. Assumeing $60 for the axle and $8 for the perches, add in grinding wheels and cut off wheels. You could do it for less then $75 if you have access to and can weld.

I'm 17 and yea I actually used the driveshaft one as an example too lol once I get paid this week I think I'm gonna go get one hopefully he'll change his mind and decide to help
thanks for all the ideas I'm gonna talk to him about it tomoro when he gets off work

do it yourself, its your $$$, every vehicle i built since i was 16 was my $$$ as long as it got me there and back reliably folks really didnt care what it did to it

I'm 17 and yea I actually used the driveshaft one as an example too lol once I get paid this week I think I'm gonna go get one hopefully he'll change his mind and decide to help
thanks for all the ideas I'm gonna talk to him about it tomoro when he gets off work

This is unfortunate. You in the eyes of the law are still a minor. Your best bet is to get his approval before you do anythying.

Sorry but at 17 you don't have much "pull" on him. Heh. Your best bet is to get him involved in wheeling with you, get him around more experienced XJ guys and let him start seeing what others have done in order to build a reliable off-road rig.

If he still doesn't budget, well....good news is you can move out and get your own apartment next year. I'm 26 and when I grew up it was play by the house rules or you can leave...even at 18.

Sorry but at 17 you don't have much "pull" on him. Heh. Your best bet is to get him involved in wheeling with you, get him around more experienced XJ guys and let him start seeing what others have done in order to build a reliable off-road rig.

If he still doesn't budget, well....good news is you can move out and get your own apartment next year. I'm 26 and when I grew up it was play by the house rules or you can leave...even at 18.

Oh, and I meant "If he still doesn't BUDGE", not budget! Sorry I'm looking at budgets at work right now...:peace:

Lol it's alrightim in English class I'm supposed to be reading " The Great Gatsby" lol

Read the book, its a good story! Do your work you will be glad you did later. I will be going to URE soon so look for the ride maybe we can have a few of us there and you could bring the dad.

Back