• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My 95 2-door stroker project...

wy_jeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I'm pretty new to the forums. My name is Brandon. I've been driving a 98 Cherokee Classic (auto, 29-spline 8.25, OME 2.5" leafs, Bilstein 5150 shocks, 2.25" spacers) for the past 2 years. I recently picked up a 95 Cherokee 2-door as a project. The previous owner was not an enthusiast and believed the motor was blown.

The body is in excellent shape with hardly any rust. It's a basic model, no cruise, ac, abs, manual windows, manual trans, etc. Just the way I wanted it :). Since the motor is blown I decided to rebuild it as a stroker. While I'm at it I'm going to upgrade the clutch, axles, and suspension. Here are the parts I have:

Centerforce pressure plate/disc
258 4CW crankshaft
258 rods
Sealed Power 677P pistons w rings
Melling Oil pump
Engine Pro timing kit
Felpro gasket kit
New lifters
Clevite bearings
Basic front/rear bumpers
Rubcion express 3.5" leaf springs
Tuff Country 3.5" coils
Trailmaster SSV front/rear shocks
Rubicon Express lower control arms
Rubicon Express track bar
Tuff Country TC drop kit
Moab wheels with 265/75/16 Dunlop Mud Rovers

I still have to figure out my axles and a few other small mods. More than likley I'll upgrade the rear to a 29-sline, lock it, and install 4.56 gears. I'm hoping to finish the project by the end of March and sell my 98 classic.

Yesterday we removed the engine. It took us about 5 hours, but we carefully kept track of each bolt/plug to make sure nothing was lost. I'll post more pics tomorrow when we disassemble the motor.

(BTW I'm not in any of the pictures, that's my friend helping)

DSC00706.jpg

DSC00707.jpg

DSC00708.jpg

DSC00709.jpg

DSC00710.jpg

DSC00711.jpg

DSC00712.jpg

DSC00713.jpg

DSC00714.jpg

DSC00715.jpg

DSC00716.jpg

Update: Dropped by TNT customs today and ordered 29-spline Yukon shafts for the rear. Tonight we disassembled the motor. Wow, what a pain. The previous owner thought the motor was blown, we were anxious to see what really happened.

The motor was definitely seized, we pulled the oil pan and were surprised to see it hadn't thrown a rod. We pulled off the head and the cylinder walls looked like poop! They were rusted and the pistons were siezed. It took us about an hour of using penetrating oil and hammering to remove all 6 pistons. My buddy and I were laughing at how hard it was. I'm dropping everything off to the machine shop tomorrow. Enjoy the pics

*I forgot my camera so the pictures were taken by my cell phone.

IMAG0021.jpg

IMAG0020.jpg

IMAG0022.jpg

IMAG0023.jpg

IMAG0024.jpg

IMAG0025.jpg

IMAG0026.jpg

IMAG0027.jpg

IMAG0028.jpg

IMAG0029.jpg

IMAG0030.jpg

IMAG0031.jpg

IMAG0032.jpg

IMAG0033.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, it's official. I hate your garage/shop.

:D

Wow, the proverbial hen's tooth.
IMAG0021.jpg

That block does look rough, hope it cleans up OK.

The garage is heated. It's not my garage though, it's my buddy's. He's got a ton of tools and the space/organization makes working on everything much easier :D

Update: Dropped everything off to the machinist today. Upon further inspection the block had a bellhousing bolt broke off inside and one of the tabs on the block that holds a bellhousing bold broke off (n). Luckily, the shop had a clean 4.0L block that I picked up for $100.

Update. I stopped by the machine shop to check on my parts. The crank needs to be ground .10/.10 which I'm kind of pissed about. The guy I bought the crank from said it was already polished and set for STD bearings. :tear:

My block has already been punched out and painted black, looks great. Then they showed the head to me. They asked what cam I was going to run and I said stock. Then they said they've built a couple of 4.6L motors with the 232-4 Comp cam and said it does wonders for power/gas mileage.

I told them I had the 232-4 cam, but was trying to sell it because I didn't want to upgrade the valve springs. They convinced me to run the comp cam and ordered the comp valve springs/retainer kit for me. Research says the recommended comp spring rate is way too high. My machinist assured me that the 4.6L's he's built have the exact same setup. I've used him for years and I trust him, so I went for it.

Today cost me an extra $300 between the crank incident and upgrading the valve springs. :cool:

Well, another update. Got a call from the machinist saying the valve springs won't fit. I mentioned that to him before he ordered, but he was assured by Comp that they would fit. I guess I'm going to run the stock cam instead of the 232-4.

I had some parts in line that I decided to pass on because of the cam upgrade, so I'm out of the cam and the parts I wanted :(. I got my shocks yesterday. Hopefully the springs and TC drop will be here by Friday. If all goes well, I'll update the thread with the locker install, axle swap, and suspension install.

Yeah...I knew exactly what you guys were talking about :)dunno:)

This Jeep is so unloaded it's not even funny. No cruise, no AC, manual doors/windows. I don't even think it has seatbelts! :(

Well, I wasn't able to get my hands on a master install kit for the 8.25 before the weekend. Consequently we didn't install the locker today. We did swap out the front axle (thanks puttzer!) and install the 3.5" coils, shocks, track bar, and lower control arms.

Everything went well. We drilled out the mounting hole to 5/8" for the track bar, no problem with the motor out. We did have a problem with the lower control arm mount. The driver's side bolt was rust welded to the inner sleeve of the bushing. After numerous attems to torch and hammer it out we decided to cut it.

I'm pleased with the install. However, I'm a little anxious to see how level the lift is once I install the 3.5" RE leafs. We held off on them since we're taking the whole axle out for the locker and yukon axles. My block and head are machined, waiting at the shop. I have to figure out what I'm going to do for exhaust, throttle body, and intake manifold. Other than that I'm pretty much settled pending install. :D

IMAG0040.jpg

IMAG0041.jpg

IMAG0042.jpg

IMAG0043.jpg

IMAG0044.jpg

IMAG0045.jpg

IMAG0046.jpg

IMAG0047.jpg

IMAG0048.jpg

IMAG0049.jpg

Back