• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Colorado B/S Thread

Ouch, my eyes!

https://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/d/denver-1989-jeep-comanche-financing/7175762568.html

00D0D_fG2iOWdEcQl_0ak07K_600x450.jpg

I like it , but those tail lights are sin . It could also use a wider stance.

I'd love a stroker I just don't think it will do all that I need it to . I don't usually need more power than a stock 4.0 puts out when in low range, but there are some obstacles i really want to beat in Moab like devil's hot tub I don't know if a stroker will get her up over that ...lol...i know a v8 will . That's probably the steepest climb I'll ever do in the iron curtain ...lol... maybe I should try it stock 4.0 first. I did see the scorpion crawler from bleepnjeep almost make it on 39.5 tsl do possibly my stickys would do the job his rig is at least as heavy as my xj ...so basicly if I dump 6-8k into my XJ on a motor swap the v8 is a sure bet not to fall short if anything it will be more than required.

what about a stroker just built to run boost. that might come in cheaper if you care about that, though spooling and lag might not be desirable for trails. OR keep your engine and just feed it nitrous on those occasions until you need an LS lol. brap brap brap

Stock steering and axles look tiny on that lift and rims.
And all that work and they couldn't even do power windows/locks? Gauges? Cruise control?
That's like $200 of junkyard parts!

what about a stroker just built to run boost. that might come in cheaper if you care about that, though spooling and lag might not be desirable for trails. OR keep your engine and just feed it nitrous on those occasions until you need an LS lol. brap brap brap

There isn't really a cheap or easy option for adding power. It will cost you with any platform you chose. A v8 once done means if I blow the motor it can be easily swapped right out with another v8 from salvage yard . Trans is also a huge benefit with a 6l80vs aw4

I guess I’m the minority here (per the usual) but that Jeep truck is sexy imo! The mall Crawlin rims and tires are easily swapped... the dunj front end came out freakin slick af- if you think that looks like trash I’d love to see you do better

I mean, your trip in if you think I’ll pay 12 grand for a Jeep that’s not at least a TJ rubicon... but still pretty dope Comanche imo

Ran Ten Falls last weekend in Gypsum...ended up being a looooong day.

Radiator drain valve sprung a leak, so I kept overheating and had to be pulled through the latter half of the trail, starting it and running it as possible.

Nearly $500 radiator...and the damn plug piece ends up causing problems. Going to plug it fully (NPT plug, no screw in drain part), and do a pressure check to make sure it wasn't also cracked or something.

I've done some hard trails, Ten Falls is probably the hardest by far at this time. The first three waterfalls/climbs (there's like ****ing 40 of them), are the big three. Number two and number three are typically winched. Number two is pretty much without rear steer...not making it.

Ten Falls makes Carnage look...so...easy.

So, got some work to do to get the rig back on the trail after that weekend.

Ran Ten Falls last weekend in Gypsum...ended up being a looooong day.

Radiator drain valve sprung a leak, so I kept overheating and had to be pulled through the latter half of the trail, starting it and running it as possible.

Nearly $500 radiator...and the damn plug piece ends up causing problems. Going to plug it fully (NPT plug, no screw in drain part), and do a pressure check to make sure it wasn't also cracked or something.

I've done some hard trails, Ten Falls is probably the hardest by far at this time. The first three waterfalls/climbs (there's like ****ing 40 of them), are the big three. Number two and number three are typically winched. Number two is pretty much without rear steer...not making it.

Ten Falls makes Carnage look...so...easy.

So, got some work to do to get the rig back on the trail after that weekend.

Gypsum is awesome! I can't wait for lil' dirty to finish his buggy so we can go back.

These pics are from 2017, this was the closest to hard flopping he came to that weekend. Unfortunately the cameraman (me) flinched when it looked the worse.

10.jpg 11.jpg 14.jpg 15.jpg 16.jpg

Gypsum is awesome! I can't wait for lil' dirty to finish his buggy so we can go back.

These pics are from 2017, this was the closest to hard flopping he came to that weekend. Unfortunately the cameraman (me) flinched when it looked the worse.

Looks like Upper Middle maybe?

Yeah can't wait to get back. However the silt and dirt were SO SO SO bad. To the point that even those that have wheeled Ten Falls multiple times said that if it were as bad as it was last weekend all the time, they'd likely never come. It was bad enough getting to and from the trail, that there were times you could barely see past your hood...from someone who was 50 yards in front of you.

Pulling out onto the highway, there was a cloud of silt dust behind me for at least a mile.

The guys also weren't kidding when they said it's longer than Pritchett...

My total carnage...

1.) Kill switch - started wanting to spaz out before starting the trail
2.) Sidewall repairs leaking again that were fixed prior to starting...so need to pull two tires off the beadlocks and work on them
3.) Winch - Shorted out internally again like it did in Montrose. Luckily got through the third waterfall before it decided to quit. New winch sitting in the garage as of yesterday to get put in.
4.) Overheating BAAAD. Got some ticking, may be from no coolant in the system or just needing an oil change. Was having to flap at the pedal to get it to overcome vapor lock over and over to get halfway up to get dragged to or drive through it. Planning on going ahead and pulling the head and doing a head gasket as a prevention item.

So...got a bit of work to do. But all part of playing in the game.

My total carnage...

1.) Kill switch - started wanting to spaz out before starting the trail
2.) Sidewall repairs leaking again that were fixed prior to starting...so need to pull two tires off the beadlocks and work on them
3.) Winch - Shorted out internally again like it did in Montrose. Luckily got through the third waterfall before it decided to quit. New winch sitting in the garage as of yesterday to get put in.
4.) Overheating BAAAD. Got some ticking, may be from no coolant in the system or just needing an oil change. Was having to flap at the pedal to get it to overcome vapor lock over and over to get halfway up to get dragged to or drive through it. Planning on going ahead and pulling the head and doing a head gasket as a prevention item.

So...got a bit of work to do. But all part of playing in the game.

Hell yes it is!! I've been watching some guys who ran that recently. I suspect you may have been in their group. But looks like a hell of a trail. Sometimes those horrible trail days are really great trail days. Haha

Hell yes it is!! I've been watching some guys who ran that recently. I suspect you may have been in their group. But looks like a hell of a trail. Sometimes those horrible trail days are really great trail days. Haha

Eh, it always seems more horrible when you're in the middle of it, but once you get back to the camp/trailers it all mostly washes away.

Yep, HELL of a trail, with quite a few good waterfalls/climbs other than just the first "big 3".

Luckily fired up the buggy again (with no coolant) for a few and it sounds just fine. So I'll forgo tearing into the engine, and just get the new winch on (going to take some cutting and work), get the cooling system checked, some tires repaired, and be about ready to be back out for the trail.

Ten falls is on my list of trails to complete while still full body. Frank one of guys we went wheeling with at holycross lives in gypsum he did ten falls in his full body wj on 40s . I don't have cooling issues , my winch works and my treps don't easily lose side walls ... After this O can start thinking about cutting off body parts and buying the parts to convert the 14 to steering.

Was up in Cheyenne and the Sturgis crowd is tricking back down... was in the flying j travel center and it appears bikers don't wear face diapers... it was awesome felt like America again while they were there.

Was up in Cheyenne and the Sturgis crowd is tricking back down... was in the flying j travel center and it appears bikers don't wear face diapers... it was awesome felt like America again while they were there.

Well maybe the real bikers don't but I'm sure the 'other' bikers were. You know the ones that trailer their bikes to 10 miles from Sturgis, then ride proudly the rest of the way....

Well maybe the real bikers don't but I'm sure the 'other' bikers were. You know the ones that trailer their bikes to 10 miles from Sturgis, then ride proudly the rest of the way....

I spotted a lot of wild hogs returning home on i80 on my way to SLC yesterday. I would trade Mr.Polis for Ms.Noem in the blink of an eye .

Ten falls is on my list of trails to complete while still full body.

Ten Falls with you're heavy monster of a rig isn't something I'd want to do.

A full bodied WJ on 40's would have some pretty good body damage (if actually trying and not winch a lot). The first two waterfalls alone aren't nice to a chassis with skins.

Cooling issues were likely just to a stupid leaking drain plug (i'll find out tonight after a pressure test). Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if my cooling system is one of the most extensive on a 4.0L ever built :laugh:

Ten Falls with you're heavy monster of a rig isn't something I'd want to do.

A full bodied WJ on 40's would have some pretty good body damage (if actually trying and not winch a lot). The first two waterfalls alone aren't nice to a chassis with skins.

Cooling issues were likely just to a stupid leaking drain plug (i'll find out tonight after a pressure test). Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if my cooling system is one of the most extensive on a 4.0L ever built :laugh:

Frank's wj tain't body perfect...lol... maybe ill wait until I back half it. I plan cut out from behind the front seats all the way back then just tube it in for my strut mounts . I plan to duplicate your rear cooling set up to open up the front a bit .

Boulder canyon is my 3td trail I want to hit by October. I need to do all of carnage without a winch. I've done everything but the waterfall without cable i know its capable doing it now . Then Penrose then boulder canyon. Then some fall Moab then comes out the cutting tools and it goes on a diet .

Back