• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PCM question

XJNOOB93

NAXJA Forum User
Good afternoon gents,

I no longer live in Colorado but know you guys know your stuff.. so I thought I would ask it here. My Jeep PCM is shot. I am not a mechanical wizard... so I had it diagnosed at a shop. They want to charge $750 for the PCM, $350 to have it flash and another $100 or so for labor.What are your thoughts on this? The guy said the PCM is not a plug and play.. is this true?

Thank you for any input.

The only time I replaced a computer, I just bought a "rebuilt" one from a chain carparts store, and traded in the old one. It was for a 97 and was only a couple of hundred bucks, but that was some time ago.

My 99s computer died I used a spare from a 97 to get home the oil pressure sending units are different one 3 wire one 2 so with the 97 my pressure read low but ran the jeep fine . Went to the junk yard got one from a 99 for $25 it's been running my xj since 2012 . They are hard to find at the yard they pull them and sell them on eBay and CL . Buy a used one for your year I wouldn't pay more than $100 .

Install... The new style ecu is right on the driver inner gender by the air box it's 3 sheet metal screws and 3 plugs it takes a screw driver and 3 minutes to install . Just buy it and put it in . I don't think the XJ ever got sophisticated enough to have vin locked computers .

What year model is it?

For shop price it's not too bad. $350 to flash is high tho. Usually about half that. I'd say most places charge 1 hour of labor to flash and possibly a software/subscription fee.

Back