• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are you towing with?

Now or over the last 10 years...

Cira Summer of 2000...it worked
jeep32.jpg

After I rolled in April 2001
0048.jpg

Fresh off the rollover and headed to the Crawl in 2001
004.jpg

Went to a trailer...Bronco did good for many years including a 12 hour trip in 2002 to Camp Jeep.
050-1.jpg

In late 2002 it was time for something nice...99 Dakota 5.2 v8 had power, but the weight of trailer and Jeep sure pushed the truck around...
DSCF0025-1.jpg

In early 2004 I got something large enough to handle the load...
DSCF0094.jpg

I took a year off from car payments and picked up this 94 Dodge with the 5.9...did lots of towing...and had some money...
is_00217.jpg

A year without something nice to tow with I went all out...In 2007 I bought this 2006...just sold it the day after winterfest...this was her last pull for me...and first time both of my XJs were on my 34ft trailer...
2010-03-07154948.jpg

Currently am saving and searching again...either some type of diesel motorhome or a dually long bed is in my future...

mac 'nice having no car payments for a minute' gyvr

I modded it myself. I loved my old cummins that motor was a beast for an 01. But diesel technology came a long way in the 6 year difference. I heard about d-maxs getting crappy mileage beefore I bought it too. I just pulled my xj down from north Dakota to Alabama and averaged 14.8 MPG with an average speed of 68mph so it does pretty decent. My old truck only averaged 12ish towing at the same speed. But in all fairness if I could get a Cummins in my truck without destroying the ifs I would do it. Sorry for the long post.

Tyler

I have an '01 CTD (NV4500 QC SB 4x4 Laramie) and average 14-16 mpg trailering.

Did you have an auto? Or NV4500/NV5600?

I have an '01 CTD (NV4500 QC SB 4x4 Laramie) and average 14-16 mpg trailering.

Did you have an auto? Or NV4500/NV5600?
Mine was an auto, don't get me wrong I loved that truck. Only reason I sold it and moved up was for a crew cab. I like a cummins more than an Isuzu anyday.

Don't have a picture with the trailer and Jeep on it cause I haven't towed with it yet. I wanna get new tires on the truck before I tow too far. 2009 f-150 with the small v-8

mynewtruck1.jpg

What i used to tow with. Sorry never had the xj behind it, just b2. I'm currently looking for a dd/tow rig. willing to trade a cherry bmw 525.

dsc01588.jpg

Shot with DSC-T1 at 2009-07-06

I modded it myself. I loved my old cummins that motor was a beast for an 01. But diesel technology came a long way in the 6 year difference. I heard about d-maxs getting crappy mileage beefore I bought it too. I just pulled my xj down from north Dakota to Alabama and averaged 14.8 MPG with an average speed of 68mph so it does pretty decent. My old truck only averaged 12ish towing at the same speed. But in all fairness if I could get a Cummins in my truck without destroying the ifs I would do it. Sorry for the long post.

Tyler
Well.. there is your problem.. SFA swap FTMFW! IFS + (any of the following, lift, any power, large tires = Failtacular
When I had my dakota I got an AVG of 15-16.5 towing pretty much anything.
Now or over the last 10 years...

A year without something nice to tow with I went all out...In 2007 I bought this 2006...just sold it the day after winterfest...this was her last pull for me...and first time both of my XJs were on my 34ft trailer...
2010-03-07154948.jpg

Currently am saving and searching again...either some type of diesel motorhome or a dually long bed is in my future...

mac 'nice having no car payments for a minute' gyvr
Yes, My issue with the MEGACAB is that you cant get that +longbed. When I can afford it, I'm thinking a 6.7L Cummins + 5th wheel camper/toy trailer, Otherwise It will be an older 12V CTD, mild-decent built.

Johnnie do you know of any companies offering kits for state swap? I've searched for one for a couple hours and gave up. But I would seriously entertain the idea. I think a sfa Chevy with a 5.9 CR would be the best tow rig out there.

2010-03-31135543.jpg

2010-03-31133716.jpg

2008 Ford F450 Lariet 4x4 Crew Cab dually diesel 54k leather power everything sunroof and bells whistles and a touch screen stereo (funny that i'm listening to AM radio on that in the pic) that I dont need but think is oddly cool with nav.

And yes I know there is a hubcap cover missing on the passengers side tire.

Just picked this up today.

mac 'should do a good job towing the 34ft trailer' gyvr

I love the new F-series. that truck just looks unstoppable. the front wheels look like they are Freightliner take-offs.

but everyone says stay the hell away from the 6.0 :-(

I love the new F-series. that truck just looks unstoppable. the front wheels look like they are Freightliner take-offs.

that has the 6.4L..

btw awesome new tow rig mac!

Yes, My issue with the MEGACAB is that you cant get that +longbed. When I can afford it, I'm thinking a 6.7L Cummins + 5th wheel camper/toy trailer, Otherwise It will be an older 12V CTD, mild-decent built.

there is/was a dealership in utah that could lengthen a mega cab frame and put a long bed on it. at this dealer it would not void the factory warranty. i remember reading about it in a mag and online some time ago. kinda like dodges BFT concept.

I'd like to see pics of the modification & tow bar ...

sure. lets see if i remember in the morning...

ok, heres the pics

1000898y.jpg

it was claimed that the tow bar was designed for an xj but the fit wasnt quite right. with the bumper on the bar only contacted the frame rail at the far rear edge and sat at a severe nose down angle. it attached with only one bolt each side to the frame rail and one on the bumper bracket each side and the two bolts for the license plate frame on the bumper. so i spaced the tow bar down with two pieces of 3/8" and one piece of 1/4" plate to get it to sit flush with both the bumper and frame. then i welded on a piece of 1/4" plate to the side of the larger mass tyeing it all into the tow hook brackets directly. now it secures with the two to the frame, two to the bumper bracket, 4 to the tow hook bracket and all the frame bolts of the tow hook brackets. its pretty strong- ive taken a couple good hits coming off ledges onto the bar.
1000899b.jpg

the plate between the tow hook and the bracket is the added plate for the tow bar.
1000900z.jpg

1000901r.jpg

the tow bar does stick out some, but with 35s its not too much of an issue.

there is/was a dealership in utah that could lengthen a mega cab frame and put a long bed on it. at this dealer it would not void the factory warranty. i remember reading about it in a mag and online some time ago. kinda like dodges BFT concept.
How much does that cost tho? I do not really want to buy a NEW truck anyways, but would be nice.

that has the 6.4L..

btw awesome new tow rig mac!
The Ford 6.0L Diesel fails horribly, and the 6.4L is even worse. I mean really, add .4L of displacement and another turbo with an engine that already has oiling issues. I used to work for a ford dealer, did way too many6.0L swaps and turbo replacements. I did a decent amount of 7.3L swaps, but most of those had a lot of miles on them. The 6.0L's were warranty thats freakin horse crap!

Johnnie do you know of any companies offering kits for state swap? I've searched for one for a couple hours and gave up. But I would seriously entertain the idea. I think a sfa Chevy with a 5.9 CR would be the best tow rig out there.
What state do you live in? Do you know anyone that has enough ability to swap stuff?

Back