• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GPS Gift For Myself

jeepsrock

NAXJA Forum User
I have been thinking of possibly getting a GarminGPS unit for myself this winter and to be honest i have no idea were to start. I spent a bit of time browsing the different models at gpsdiscount.com and i think the models that intrested me the most were the vistaCX, gps60cx and the GPS60csx all of which are under 350 after rebate.

Anyone have any reviews of these models or any other model suggestions ?

I need a relatively small unit that i can use in my car but be able to use mobily when i want to. I can get lost in a shoe box so the unit would need to give me direction, given an address.

Pete

Last edited:
For the unit to give you diretions is called auto routing, just so you know what to look for. My original 76 for example will find an address and show it on the map but you are on your own to figure out the route.

Also be aware you will most likely need to purchase a map CD if you want city street level detail. They are not cheap..so figure that into your budget and maybe look for bundled packages.

I have the 60cxs and have no problems. Nav. works great and I all use it map fires at work.

I did a bunch of homework last year and settled on the Garmin 60CSX which was $300 after their $50 rebate. I primarily use it for geocaching and finding my way in/out of the woods. It works very well. The size is a good compromise for the features and works well for me in both the car and going mobile. I really like the fact that I can stick in a 1-gig memory card and load up maps for almost the entire US at once. It does support autorouting and driving directions if you have an autorouting capable map installed. You plug in a street address or you can search under location types such as food or shopping, etc.

Like most models, the built-in maps are a bit sparse and don't have any routing or points of interest, so you'll definitely want to find a better map. You can find a various pirated copies of Mapsource4 (routable) Mapsource6 (not routable), Topo Maps, or the Rec maps online, or plan on at least another $100 to buy a decent loadable map such as City Navigator.

I decided against the older 60CS models (no X) as they didn't have the memory cards and didn't have the newer GPS chipset which improved reception. The 60CSX locks on to satellites pretty quickly and has no problem getting reception sitting in the center console. I had to keep my original Magellan Explorist 200 on top of the dash to get reception.

Well the difference i can read between the 60csx and 60xx is the 60SX has a built in compass compared to the aquired one from the 60 cx, i am not sure if the extra few meters of accuracy is worth the extra 50 bucks or so.

Also are you guys saying that the built in maps that it comes with wont be of any help at all for a while ? I live in Los angeles CA i dont really need all the small streets just something to get me to main st addresses ?

pete

Back