• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GPNF SE1 Hypothermia Run: 2/5 - 2/6

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
The Hypothermia Run has been an annual tradition for the NWC for the past four years. This year we'll not only be having the traditional North End run, but we'll also be doing one for the South End of the chapter as well.

My goal is to do at least one more of these trips this winter, so that's where the SE1 (south end run #1) comes into place. Hopefully sometime around March we'll see our peak snow pack, and we can do this again (SE2). If you don't want to do an overnight trip, keep an eye on the Staging Area for a snow day run. I'd like to see people getting out in the snow as much as possible this winter.

Now for the details...

Who: This run is open to all who are interested. I'd like to keep the group size around 10 vehicles if possible. I'm flexible on that number though depending on the capability of the group. There's no minimum tire size requirement.

What: This is an overnight snow run. We'll depart in the morning on Saturday, and attempt to make it to the designated camp location depending on conditions.

When:
February 5th and 6th (Sat-Sun)

Where:
We'll meet at the Battleground Safeway at 9:00am sharp. From there we'll convoy out to the Gifford Pinchot National Forest. I'll post our specific route closer to the date.

Safeway
904 West Main Street
Battle Ground, WA 98604

Minimum Equipment and Requirements:
1. Front and rear tow points!
2. Snow wheeling experience (staying in the tracks, throttle control, stopping when in trouble, etc)
3. Willingness to run low single digit tire pressure
4. Good amount of camping experience
5. Quality camping equipment
6. A good snow shovel (or two)
7. Snow shoes (if you have them)
6. Warm/dry clothes!
7. Warm/dry clothes!
8. More warm/dry clothes!

I can't emphasize enough about being prepared for the conditions. You must have the ability to say warm and dry, otherwise you will be very miserable.

If you are going to use a tent, make sure it's decent quality. A cheap tent will not be able to withstand the weight of accumulating overnight snow. You do not want your tent collapsing on you! If you don't have an adequate tent, the back of our Jeeps are excellent alternatives. However, please don't rely on your heaters to keep you warm. If you want to warm up the Jeep before settling down that's fine, but you need to be able to stay warm on your own.

Make sure you have a good insulated barrier between you and the ground or you and the Jeep. This can be a insulated air mattress, some thick blankets, foam pad, etc. If you don't have a barrier you will essentially be trying to warm the earth (and you will lose).

As for clothing, I'd suggest as little cotton as possible. Thermal under layers, with a good water proof outer shell will work well. Also, make sure you have plenty of socks, and some good gloves to keep the extremities warm. Having cold feet sucks!

Agenda: Aside from the adventure getting to the camping location, I'd like to see if we can make an igloo (for traditions sake). So study up on the techniques, and bring a snow saw or wood saw if you have one. I'm really hoping the snow will cooperate with us, and we can at least make an attempt. We're an innovative bunch, we should be able to figure it out. :laugh:

Depending on the time we get camp set up, we can take a side adventure and see how far up we can make it.

Dinner: For Saturday night we'll do a group dinner. If everyone could bring one or two cans of chili, I'll cook them up in a pot. Bring your favorite ingredient to add as well (as long as it's not a foreign delicacy). If you want to do your own thing, my stove has a grill portion or griddle, and anyone is welcome to use it. Be sure to bring your own bowl and spoon as well.

If you have some dry fire wood of reasonable size, please bring it. I have a small fire pan we'll use to keep it off the snow.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask, or PM me. Snow camping is tons of fun, but it's also a big challenge. There's much more at risk on this type of run, so please be responsible, and act accordingly.

The challenge:
IMG_0037.jpg

The goal:
IMG_0047.jpg

I am very interested, I will put it on the calendar and plan for it. Has anyone made made a snow cave in the past? They are pretty comfortable and keep you pretty warm.

I'm in

anybody have an inverter that will do a steady 1100 amp draw? mine only does 400/800 peak - not enough to run the espresso machine, but enough for the coffee grinder

oh snap! that's the night of the motorhead/clutch/valient thorr concert at the roseland. I'm still going to plan on going but if I drop at the last minute that's why.

+1000 on waterproof boots. and get some electric socks.

old crappy coolers and some spray cooking oil for mold release is how I've made igloos.

Last edited:
Count me in. My brother wants to go with his XJ as well. I will bring some pieces of firewood, if we all bring a few stick that will last us the night of and morning of. If you don't mind Dustin I will probably bring my own cooking device so i am self sufficient, I'm just that way lol.

Also, bring 2 sets of boots if you have them cause one will get wet. A couple coats, and maybe some rain gear. A couple big towels are also nice to dry off. If anyone wants one I have like 5 thick foam pads that I use for camping that you could use and keep one for free. They work good but I have too many of them and am willing to let some go. There nothing fancy but work awesome!

can't wait!!!!!!!!! So any ideas on the exact route yet?
Kind of waiting to see how much more snow we're going to get. I have a few areas in mind that would make a good area for camping. I'll run them by you, and we'll have to do a pre run beforehand.

Count me in. My brother wants to go with his XJ as well. If you don't mind Dustin I will probably bring my own cooking device so i am self sufficient, I'm just that way lol.
No worries, bring what you want. Self sufficient is always a good thing. My off still stands for anyone needing a stove to warm something up though.

I thought your brother would be interested. ;)

yeah josh, I was waiting for your call for a wrench fest to get the new xj trail prepped

btw, if anyone knows a cute girl to help me keep the jeep warm at night let me know

Last edited:
I thought your brother would be interested. ;)

Yeah, his exact answer was.......OH HELLS YEAH in a mildly high voice. So my guess is that he is going :D

Ahh, The Super Bowl is also the Sunday of this run on the 6th. I will be headed down the mountain in time for kickoff! GO SEAHAWKS....I hope they make it!

Last edited:
Yeah guys its been too long, can't wait to get back out on the trail with you! Just about have the Jeep totally trail prepped now, need to build some sliders, dial in the suspension, finish front axle, and swap transfercases. Can't wait till its done. Should be a fun one.

give me a ring if you need another set of hands josh

give me a ring if you need another set of hands josh
I paid a guy to setup gears, he has been doing it for 40 years. He messed them up......... don't think he is going to be willing to give me my money back either. Well see what happens. I hope it gets figured out before this trip comes and goes.

Back