• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC vacuum pump?

iwannadie

NAXJA Forum User
Ac work is something I am thinking of adding to my capabilities. Rather than pay a shop to evac and recharge I was looking at vac pumps and they don't seem too bad. 100-250+.

Anyone have experience with these pumps and can recommend anything? Amazon has one for 130 bucks and come with manifold gauges. I am tempted to get one just to try it.

I have the Harbor Freight Pump and gauges. I think between two sales and the 20% coupons I have about $100 into the setup.

I've re-done the AC on my '94 (made everything 134) with them and it worked really well. I also had a shop drain down what was left in my old tow rig after the condenser got damaged and re-did that one with these as well these also with no issues.

It's really simple since everything only hooks up one way for the most part.

I went with an FJC 5cfm pump and mastercool gauges. About 200 bucks into it, hopefully the pump will hold up to weekend warrior occasional use.

HF pump and gauges here as well. All the knobs broke on my gauges, so I use a pair of needle nose pliers usually to open and close them. Other than that, i've more than got my money's worth out of them. I usually do 8-10 AC repairs on average during the summer months, be it on my junk or somebody elses. For the cost, you can't beat it!

HF pump and gauges here as well. All the knobs broke on my gauges, so I use a pair of needle nose pliers usually to open and close them. Other than that, i've more than got my money's worth out of them. I usually do 8-10 AC repairs on average during the summer months, be it on my junk or somebody elses. For the cost, you can't beat it!

So you put a vacuum on your junk? Hmm....

Pump worked out great. Pulled a vacuum in under 30 minutes and had my gauges pretty much pegged at 0. Glad I invested in a pump n

Ac work is something I am thinking of adding to my capabilities. Rather than pay a shop to evac and recharge I was looking at vac pumps and they don't seem too bad. 100-250+.

Anyone have experience with these pumps and can recommend anything? Amazon has one for 130 bucks and come with manifold gauges. I am tempted to get one just to try it.

I have had similar thoughts, why pay a lot of extra when one can do it by them selves. I paid 265 for my FJC 5cfm pump at Amazon so @iwannadie was lucky I guess :)

I had a small fridge lose freon when I poke a hole in the line trying to chip out the ice! I sodered an a/c fitting and use it to pull vacuum down low. I cannot remember but it gets low and works great!

Back