• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Freebie....... '64 Dodge 440

YELLAHEEP

NAXJA Forum User
Well this was unexpected......

Saw this on Craigslist for $1,200, was near me so I went to look it over.

One owner, very clean body and interior but yeah.... kinda ugly and too many doors. But still kinda cool.

Has a fresh rebuilt 318 "semi-hemi" aka Poly big block supposedly bored and stroked to a 360. Has over $3k in machine shop build receipts to include flywheel and clutch and a carb rebuild.

Guys dad loved the car and put 37 miles on it after the rebuild and passed away. Guy kept it for 7 years and the brakes leaked down and the gas tank got rusty inside. Said he can't bear to part it out, wants someone to put it back on the road.

I hooked up a jump box to it and put some gas in the carb and it fired right up.....sounded really good too.

I got smart and passed on it. He and I talked about how to find a good buyer for it and I sympathized with his desire to not sell it for parts. I wished him good luck.

A month later, he texts me, frustrated that he's had lots of no-shows or people just wanting the engine or parts. He says " I believe you'd do something good with it so you can have it for free."

Yup. Freebie. But I felt I should still give something for it. We agreed to his thought that in honor of his Grandfather's service in Korea, his Father's military service in Vietnam Nam and his service in Iraq, upon my selling the car I'd make a donation to the USO in lieu of purchasing the car.

IMG_20170605_152619134_zpsnctc2ebk.jpg

IMG_20170605_152601409_zpsledq7wmh.jpg

IMG_20170605_152628890_zpsf4bs7zks.jpg

IMG_20170605_154220054_zpsv58nwxmv.jpg

Last edited:
It's got a stuck left rear drum and the brake pedal goes to the floor so I'm figuring a full set of brakes, wheel cylinders and master cylinder are needed.

New fuel tank is about $160 and readily available on line.

Found a very cool set of 70's Parnelli Jones wheels with tires.......haven't pulled the trigger on them yet.

11427_zpshfknksc2.jpeg

Last edited:
groovy cruiser... fixed up the low crowd ought to jump on that. unique.

"Three on the tree" = theft proof. :D

Nice.

I wish I could get a '67 Chevy C-10 327 two tone orange & white for a charitable contribution.

Damn! Cool find, especially for that price!

"Three on the tree" = theft proof. :D

Lol.... I know right?

My very first car, bought it when I was 14, was a '65 LeMans with a 326 V8 and column shifted 3-speed. Baffled so many kids at school. Linkage kept getting jammed on the 1-2 shift so I swapped in an M-22 Muncie.

Would LOVE to find a good A833 o/d 4-speed trans for this car....cool factor boost....:D

buddy of mine finally abandoned the 3 on the tree in his 72 Bronco a couple years back for a floor-mounted 4 speed. Theft proof is right... noone actually stealing cars could possibly figure that out! :cheers:

Had lots of people telling me to do this to it.......

64%20330%20police%20car_zpseyl2bbec.jpg

While it'd be cool I think that'd hurt the re-sale...

I'm thinking of painting the area inside the trim like this as many of these were 2-tone from the factory this way and putting those Parnelli Jones wheels on it and calling it done.

4008508098_b406570e71_b_zps3uykuj03.jpg

I actually have a fiberglass re-pop Hemi hood scoop and a pair of air shocks that will fit it........ On the fence about the scoop.

mopp-1205-08-1964-Dodge-Polara-_zps3mvscjve.jpg

3754079971_757390650d_zpsnpqegsf3.jpg

Last edited:
I think it would be cool in triple black and lowered a couple of inches.

Noticed 2 things about the car today....... 1) It was originally silver as evidenced by the trunk paint. 2) The trunk lid is rusty. Other than some surface scaley rust in the trunk under the mat in a couple spots, this is the only "rotten" spot on the car. Must have held some dirt and water for quite some time. The other corner is in good shape, no idea why this corner would be so bad.

Guess I gotta find a trunk lid.

IMG_20170605_153839189_zpsyjolkjju.jpg

Trigger pulled. :D

IMG_20170610_191103488_zpskyrgp114.jpg

The guy I bought the wheels from had this nut & bot restored '70 Super Bee..... 440 4 speed air grabber car. Hes owned it for 38 years. For sale for a mere $65K.

12816_zpsztluzdqe.jpeg

12817_zpsvgpaklqh.jpeg

Can't beat free. I have a feeling it will look a bit betternwith some cut coils :thumbup:

Can't cut what it doesn't have............

:laugh:

Back