NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Chapters > South East Chapter
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

South East Chapter Discussion of Chapter issues. Please keep Tech Topics on the Tech Forums.

Old February 25th, 2010, 13:54
NAXJA Forum User

Just a little more detail... TRE''s

Hey all, i know this is tech, but i would like your opinion mostly!

My tie rod (drivers side) can be shifted up and down by hand pretty easily, and i had some un-even tire wear as well.

So i want to replace the TRE's, and am a bit confused by the jargon...

- It seems the TRE on the passenger side is not serviceable, it is part of the drag link and has to be replaced as a whole unit. (not worried about that at this point, it seems to be ok...)
- then there are 3 other TRE's. to the steering knuckle, tie rod to the drag link, and drag link to pitman arem.

i swear every website lists them differently (inner/outer, RH/LH) it is a bit confusing. i would like to replace all three, so i kind of would like your opinons. Moog seems good but expensive. Anyone else have a favorite?

Cheers!
Old February 25th, 2010, 14:15
www.rocksolidfab.com

Re: Just a little more detail... TRE''s

Currie Correctlync FTW. Ditch the stock junk, you will keep having problems with it. And if you do any wheeling at it, it is completely worth it. The Stock steering requires an alignment after every wheeling trip if you are gonna drive it on the road, literally.
Old February 25th, 2010, 14:53
NAXJA Forum User

that Currie set up is sweet looking! but again expensive lol! I also saw the ridgeline HD kit (drag link and tie rod) for $189.

my XJ is stock and 99% of it's life is on paved road sadly enough. it does get off road for camping and beach trips every so often. i will look into the currie kit and it might just be worth it.

for a replacement while the currie kit is in the works, maybe just whatever Adv auto/autozone has on the shelf?
Old February 25th, 2010, 15:33
NAXJA Member

hightime81,

The Currie stuff "looks" expensive but it gives you what you want. I've seen tons of posts about how people bought an OTR kit or Rugged Ridge stuff and saved money only to end up with vague steering or play issues. Then they aren't happy and search for solutions.

Currie is simple, bolt in, strong stuff. I have it and would recommend it to anyone. I bought mine from Northridge4x4.com.
Old February 25th, 2010, 20:44
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks Ed, that is some good advice. i will research it. i appreciate the honest info here.
Old February 26th, 2010, 05:52
NAXJA Forum User

a cheaper route would be to put in a heavier duty tie rod, and new tie rod ends. this would stiffen up the steering, be stronger, but still have stock drag link. if you are just driving on the street this is a good way to go, since it is significantly cheaper than curries. this is what i ran for quite a while on 33" tires, offroaded regularly, and never had an issue.