• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Morpar Performance Timing Chain 4.0L

delta

NAXJA Forum User
I purchased a Mopar timing chain for my 4.0L and it did not come with any info. at all. There are three different ways to install the set. There is a set of circles, squares and triangles on the cam and crank sprocket. Does anyone know what the difference is between these three marks? Anyone buy one of these that came with info. or instructions? I know how to install the chain but I would like to know what the best setting is going to be. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I'm 99% certain the Jeep/Mopar performance timing set is made by Cloyes. Check a local speed shop if you have one nearby, they may have a Chevy or Ford set in stock from which you can photocopy the instructions. Or get a phone number for Cloyes and call them on Monday.

As Eagle stated it is a Cloyes set.pn# P5249519 with 3 sets of key-ways.
The JEEP ENGINES Mopar book says nothing about what key-way to use.They only go into how to degree the cam in the engine.
Wayne

You should check the timing with a degree wheel during assembly if possible...tolerance stack can put the actual timing out of whack.

Thanks for all of the input. I found out that the circle is the base or stock marking. The triangle is to advance the cam timing 4 degrees, more low end torque. And the square is for 4 degrees retarded, more upper end torque. I need to either use the stock or triangle setting. I found out that I may get more engine ping if I advance the cam timing so I will most likely go with the stock setting.

Back