• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 xj shift slow

Wagonman

NAXJA Forum User
Just picked up a 99 xj. Runs great but when it shifts from 1 to 2 it's very slow. Sometimes it'll shift @2200, other times it's all the way to 4000. Once it shifts the rest of the gears are fine. It's giving 3 codes : input speed sensor, and shift solinoid A. Anyone delta with this?

I checked the connection on the speed sensor for dirt like what was suggested online, and made sure the magnetic side wasn't corroded...it all looked good. I haven't pulled the pan yet, just want to get some feedback from people that may have had the same issue.

Well honestly it sounds to me like you might be due for a transmission rebuild in the future.

Based on what diagnostics ?

Wagonman, what were the exact trouble codes, by the exact numbers, that were downloaded ?

You will have to decipher the trouble codes and troubleshoot each one. Repairs may be as simple as some new, or good used, shift solenoids.

Last edited:
My buddy has a .mechanic shop out here and he did some research for me and he's gonna order some parts for me to start replacing the cheapest one first. I've read several posts about TPS so wasn't sure if that could be related. This is my 4th jeep and the first one I've ever had any issues with a transmission in any of them, sucks!! It's taking $$ away from my long arm kit and all of the other mods.

So found a complete tranny 139k on it for 200....with a 90 day warranty!!! Turns out that's less expensive then what orielly wanted for the sensor, and shift solinoid. Also helps I've got great friends with lifts and all the tools I could need. Thanks for the responses.

Check ohms? at the TCU check the pins 22 23 24 (please google it! I'm not 100% on thos pins) Should be 11-16ohms~ each if they're good. The input speed sensor and output should read around 600ohms~ If I recall correctly.

I went through this pain recently. It turned out to be B solenoid and TPS wires were loose the connector causing some inconsistencies in Ohms and shifting.

Back