• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Slow shift from 4 wheel high to 2 wheel high

Truckedup

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,what I have is a 99 XJ 4.0 5 speed,140,000 miles.Lately this problem has been more obvious. When shifting the transfer case from 4 wheel high to 2 wheel,there's about a 10 second delay after I move the lever. If going around 30 mph there's a clunk when it shifts out even when maintaining a steady speed or coasting.It's the same in all gears,clutch in or out.When going slow,10 mph or less the shift is normal.I avoid the making the shift as higher speeds as much as possible...The transfer case is not noisy except for the clunk .This Jeep is not abused but driven daily in snow and or on unpaved roads.Thanks

I had a brand new ZJ with a 242, and some now older XJs, with 231's. The ZJ was stiff in and out of 4WD, either choice, and it would wait a bit coming out, but got easier as it aged. My XJs, with lots of miles, operate much easier, and both will hang on a bit when shifted back to 2WD, and yes, you may feel or hear a slight noise when they let loose. Just make sure the t-case is full of DEX, and you should be OK.

Part time should be a NP231?. I changed the ATF in the T case today.No debris in the old oil and it might just shift a bit better now.I have probably adjusted my driving style,coast,shift into 2 wheel,shifts pretty fastwith a very slight noise..It used to be quiet,shift into 2 wheel drive at a steady speed no problem,no noise.My wife has an identical 99 5 speed and hers is a lot smoother.Or maybe less abused ,lol.

When I experience this it's usually a sign of a soft tire or tires overdue for rotation. A little difference in diameter makes it harder to come out of 4WD. That's assuming, of course, that the linkage is right, and the TC is not the culprit, but the first thing I'd do is make sure the tires are even.

Back