• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25+disc brakes= c-clip eliminator?

lazyxj

NAXJA Member #1310
It seems that the major disadvantage of the 8.25 is it c-clip construction.
Rear disc brakes would keep a broken axle from exiting at an inopportune moment and would duplicate the function of a c-clip eliminator.
Am I missing something here?

I do not need gears lower than 4.56s since 32"s are as big as I'm willing to go with this rig so I see no good reason to change to an 8.8 or D44.

I was thinking the same thing, as I'm adding rear discs to my 8.25. But I was afraid to ask. :laugh3:

the c-clip holds the axle firmly in place and allows no play or movement, as it should be. the rear discs will keep it from walking all the way out but it wont actually hold it firmly in place. a rear disc swap will help in case of breakage but thats only good enough to hold you until you can get the rig leveled and shaft swapped out for a new one.
the C-clip is not the weak point. it just makes it a PIA so replace a damaged one.

Back