• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

E Brake Handle??

FELIX

Who Knows, Ask Who
I have the center console style E-Brake lever, & the button shot out. All I see that came out, is a spring, & the button. Looks like all I have to do is back off the tentioner, insert the spring, & JB weld the button back on the threaded rod. Sound right, or is there more to it, that I'm not seeing

Thanks
Rob

I don't know about the fix, but my .02 on releasing the parking brake is to lift the arm slightly before pushing the button in. This eases the pressure off the pawl before the button is pushed. I'm on my third 5-speed XJ ('86, '93, '99) and have never had a problem with the button.
ronnie

Thanks for the reply. I was right, the button is just bonded to the threaded rod, w/ a sping for tention. I just got the schematic from the dealer
Thanks again
Rob

I had this happen with my e-brake handle, so I just went to the local yard and got one for $15 in perfect condition. BTW- I noticed you mentioned the fact that you had the non-center console brake, I wasn't aware there was any difference in the handle between the two.

Mine came off my 85 xj but it is theaded on went to a yard got one for 10.00 there is a pin and a e clip that holds the shaft on.pull the pin and the whole shaft comes out you may have to back off the brake cable some .you can replace it or glue it the hardest part is getting it back together you have to hold the brake paw up with a small screw drive or wire to line up the hole in every thing to put the pin back in .I don't know if newer modles are glued on or not but mine is just thered on.

Back