• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shackle relocation

DutchVDub

NAXJA Forum User
So today I finally got started on my shackle relocation. I used a write-up I found on Pirate as inspiration. http://www.bsfab.net/?p=71 <---- That's the write-up.

I'll let the pics do the talking.

Frame on jack stands and axle at full drop, the tires are just barely above the ground
001.jpg

I Austin Powers'd it in
002.jpg

Shackle angle at full drop
003.jpg

Leafpac at full drop
004.jpg

My dented shock
005.jpg

the shaft is bent on it too
006.jpg

How the spring sits with all the weight back on
007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

static hang, no axle pulling it down

011.jpg

012.jpg

Laying on the ground
013.jpg

Where those big military wraps hit the floor inside the front spring mount
014.jpg

015.jpg

018.jpg

measured on groung at 48.25"
016.jpg

017.jpg

Where I would ideally want the shackle to sit (measures 52" from eye to eye between shackle and front spring mount)
020.jpg

Started removing the flared out portion of box
021.jpg

022.jpg

test fitting
024.jpg

I had my helper with me today
026.jpg

mocked up and tacked together
027.jpg

welding it together
028.jpg

I didn't like the look of the first bead so I ran another next to it to make sure
029.jpg

030.jpg

031.jpg

decided to practice vertical welding
032.jpg

welded my tabs on (thankyou SpiderTrax)
033.jpg

Made a hole
034.jpg

mocked in place
035.jpg

removed the lower to springs from the pack
036.jpg

with the vehicles weight back on it
037.jpg

038.jpg

039.jpg

040.jpg

Now I just have to do the other side, but that'll have to wait for tomorrow.

Any plan to add gusseting to the sheet metal, or going to fill in the plug welds and call it a day?

020.jpg

If you want it, I'm about to throw away a perfectly good gas tank. LOL

Any plan to add gusseting to the sheet metal, or going to fill in the plug welds and call it a day?

the factory shackle bolt, 5 plug welds, all the edges welded, and a piece of 1.5" .120wall tube comin up through the floor. the tube is welded to the floor and once i snag some plate i'll also weld it to a platew that will the be welded to the floor.

True, true!

I never thought about it that way, but you probably have some weight savings as well: What is it...5lb/gallon???

finished it up mostly.

here is the tube coming up through the floor and welded. i'll be taking a piece of plate and drilling a hole in middle of it to weld the tube to and then weld the plate to the floor as well.
041.jpg

Here is how it sits
042.jpg

043.jpg

And the shackle box
044.jpg

Good job brutha! Looks like it moved your rear axle back some.

Shouldn't have - technically impossible unless he moved the centering pin or the hole it sits in in the spring perch. The distance from the front spring eye to the centering bolt didn't change nor did the distance from the centering pin to the rear spring eye.

I think it's the way his flare is mounted that gives that illusion.

Shouldn't have - technically impossible unless he moved the centering pin or the hole it sits in in the spring perch. The distance from the front spring eye to the centering bolt didn't change nor did the distance from the centering pin to the rear spring eye.

I think it's the way his flare is mounted that gives that illusion.
When the spring flattens out axle has to move backwards since the front perch is non moving. It is a good thing gives a little more wheel base. But those are rustys flares...:D Dang I said the R word again...:shhh:

actually the axle is back more because the TNT u-bolt eliminaters have 3 center pin holes for different axle positions and I remounted the axle on the holes that push it farthers back.

actually the axle is back more because the TNT u-bolt eliminaters have 3 center pin holes for different axle positions and I remounted the axle on the holes that push it farthers back.

Heh, heh........ so 'Stang and I were both right....... :thumbup:

Back