• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lifters

DDCxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have to replace the lifters in my 91 4.0. It's skipping real bad now. The cheapest set I found was $150 from a local warehouse. Does anyone know of anyplace that I can them for cheaper?

Thanks
Dean

What do you mean skipping? A collapsed lifter will tick and not allow full valve opening, or its stuck from carbon build up and new ones wont fix it. ever do a compression test?

Its ticking very loud right now and running pretty rough. I already know I need the lifters, so the part is not in question, I'm just wandering if anyone has seen them for cheaper.

Dean

I have the head off and two of the lifters were broke. My father is doing the work since I'm at school. Once we get the new lifters in, we will do a compression test. The engine only runs rough like that when the lifters are making the ticking noise. Along with the lifters, I also had two broken valve springs. So pretty much, my father is just waiting to see if I can get a better price somewhere else before he orders the set he can get at his companies cost.

Dean

Autozone has a camshaft kit for your '91 that runs 145.00. It includes the lifters as well as a new camshaft which you should be replacing anytime you replace lifters anyway.
It's part # CL-MC809 made by Melling. I used this kit on my stepbrother's '91, works great. Sounds like you've got other problems as well. Perhaps it's time to get the head rebuilt?

I probably should send my head out but I can't afford it right now, so if I can get away without doing it I will. Unlike many teenagers, I pay to repair and add on everything to my jeep and evrything else I own and right now I'm jobless and in college.

I'll have to look into that kit at autozone. Is Melling a reputable brand?

Thanks
Dean

Yes melling is a reputable brand. I would STRONGLY recommend having the head checked and milled. I know you don't have gobs of extra money, but why tear it down now and spend $145 for the parts only to have it break again and spend another $145 when you could have fixed it all for a little more. As Mr.Goodwrench puts it you can pay me a little now or a lot later. :lecture:

I just talked to my father to see what was going on with it. He brought the head down to one of the shops he uses and its fine as is the camshaft. Hes getting the lifter set for about $55 so it looks like I made out pretty good.

thanks
Dean

Back