• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Track bar mount or pitman arm

tech1001

NAXJA Forum User
I've bin fighting a small bump steer problem on my 2001 XJ ever since I got it , it looks like some one before me put on a small drop pitman arm on . The track bar mount is stock , I think that's my problem I have a 4.5 inch lift . I have a good track bar now that uses the stock frame bracket . my question is does any body make a drop bracket that will work with a stock track bar mounting or should I put a stock pitman arm back on my steering box . I would rather put a drop track bar mount . Thank you for any help you can give me .

I would get a trackbar that has double shear plus a drop. I've had my RE bar now for almost 18yrs and it's been flawless.

As suggested, get rid of the drop pitman arm, and install a double sheer track bar with heavy duty frame mount.

isn't 4.5" where a drop pitman arm becomes necessary?

got a dropped arm on mine and it's staying on there

I'd love to hear the definitive reasoning for this assumption.

geometry bro.. Can't lift a rig indefinitely without it. track bar mount should be dropped around this height, pitman arm is dropped to keep them parallel.

isn't 4.5" where a drop pitman arm becomes necessary?

Everything I have read says 6 + inches is when a drop pitman arm should be considered for an XJ.

My 2000 has a 5.5" lift, short control arms with RE drop brackets, and a doubleshear track bar with .75 inch of drop on the HD frame mount bracket.

I have no bump steer.

Same for my 2000, 5.5" on long arms and a RE Drop bracket with Currie steering. Mines been "bump steer" free for all 19yrs now!

I've got shackle relocators and ACOS spacers I'm about to put on. Will put me around 5.5". Put the dropped pitman on when I redid steering gear a few yrs ago preparing to add another inch or 2. Had to buy another pitman anyway cause I cut the stock one off after fighting it for a few days. Works for me.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

geometry bro.. Can't lift a rig indefinitely without it. track bar mount should be dropped around this height, pitman arm is dropped to keep them parallel.

A properly designed steering linkage and correct track bar setup will not require a pitman arm drop.

Speaking of geometry, bro........ one can easily argue that running a longer pitman arm multiplies the force/leverage on the steering gear sector shaft and accelerates wear.

I ran my 89 XJ at 5.5" of lift for 8 years and my current 2000 XJ at 5.5" of lift for 12 years with a stock pitman arm. Custom steering and trackbar setup. Bumpsteer free.

A properly designed steering linkage and correct track bar setup will not require a pitman arm drop.

Speaking of geometry, bro........ one can easily argue that running a longer pitman arm multiplies the force/leverage on the steering gear sector shaft and accelerates wear.

I ran my 89 XJ at 5.5" of lift for 8 years and my current 2000 XJ at 5.5" of lift for 12 years with a stock pitman arm. Custom steering and trackbar setup. Bumpsteer free.

eh.... going hydro assist soon. like I said had to cut mine off and wanted an to upgrade for bigger lift. may go for 6" just for the hell of it. already got the pitman arm!! party1: :yelclap:

I'd take you up on that argument, but I'm busy.

Definitely not dumb enough to believe that a stock steering gear can last turning locked 33's like it will turning small tires on an open diff...

congrats on your stock pitman arm success?? :dunno:

Last edited:
eh.... going hydro assist soon. like I said had to cut mine off and wanted an to upgrade for bigger lift. may go for 6" just for the hell of it. already got the pitman arm!! party1: :yelclap:

I'd take you up on that argument, but I'm busy.

Definitely not dumb enough to believe that a stock steering gear can last turning locked 33's like it will turning small tires on an open diff...

congrats on your stock pitman arm success?? :dunno:

Circling back to the original poster.....no, you are not required to add a drop pitman arm at 4.5", if you are running a trackbar setup with the correct geometry to operate in parallel with your draglink.

With a trackbar near-to/that is the same length as your draglink and operating on the same plane, then you should not experience bumpsteer.

Circling back to the original poster.....no, you are not required to add a drop pitman arm at 4.5", if you are running a trackbar setup with the correct geometry to operate in parallel with your draglink.

With a trackbar near-to/that is the same length as your draglink and operating on the same plane, then you should not experience bumpsteer.

OP already has a dropped arm. so you're recommending he get a stock one, right?

Back