• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do I need a sye for wheeling?

notamechanic

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone,

I’ve been asking a lot of random questions on threads lately, but really trying to get my rig dialed in this summer. I’m planning on running rubicon in September. As of now I feel like everything is there except for a sye.

I’m currently at 4.5-5” lift rear with no vibes in my 2001 xj. Is it necessary to get one if I don’t have vibrations?

This is along the lines of the "do I need to drop my transfer case" questions. Half the answers will be yes and half will be no. Everyone's rig seems to be set up a bit differently where there is no correct answer.

You may not need one, with the way yours is set up...but this is one of those modifications that there isn't really a downside to, in my opinion.

This is along the lines of the "do I need to drop my transfer case" questions. Half the answers will be yes and half will be no. Everyone's rig seems to be set up a bit differently where there is no correct answer.

You may not need one, with the way yours is set up...but this is one of those modifications that there isn't really a downside to, in my opinion.

I feels ya. I’d like to do this eventually. But really want to know if I’ll be subject to any negative situation from not having one now on the trail or if something crummy is more likely to happen without one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if you have a way to get the rig off the trail, you do not NEED one.

The stock slip yoke can get thrown if you are stretched in the rear and flex the wrong way. Also a real SYE with a replacement shaft is going to be stronger than the stock main shaft.

if you have a way to get the rig off the trail, you do not NEED one.

The stock slip yoke can get thrown if you are stretched in the rear and flex the wrong way. Also a real SYE with a replacement shaft is going to be stronger than the stock main shaft.

That’s all I needed to hear. Going to put my lunch money towards spare parts and get a sye sometime later on.

I have 2 2000's and will say that mostly likely the reason for you not having any vibes is because you haven't re-geared yet. You could easily lose a driveshaft though and that's no fun.

what brand are you considering ?Am I also correct in assuming that once you go with a SYE you will need a longer Drive Shaft ?

I'm about to go from 3.5" to 5.5" long arm.

I went with the advanced adapter kit. Bought off amazon for 219. Yes you will need a longer double cardan driveshaft.
I think you can run a stock front ds from an Automatic xj with that height lift.

Go the advanced adapters SYE in and new drive shaft. Still slight vibes, but noticeably better. Definitely need to adjust my castor angle on front and rear axles.

Install was really straight forward. I was pretty intimidated at first, but everything moved along smoothly! Time to go wheelin'.

Back