NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old September 10th, 2004, 13:41
NAXJA Forum User

8.25 diff cover

I was just wondering if anyone knows where I can get an 8.25 diff cover that has a threaded plug. I hate the rubber plug because every time after I go through any decent amount of water, I have to drain and refill it (I have raised vents, so I know that's not it). I've seen a few online, but they're about $150 and I'd prefer a basic cover. Thanks.
Old September 10th, 2004, 14:05
NAXJA Member # 1374

Re: 8.25 diff cover

use some rtv on the plug
Old September 10th, 2004, 15:01
NAXJA Forum User

I've thought of that, but then won't using pliers or whatever to get the plug out warp the plug?
Old September 10th, 2004, 15:26
I Jeep, therefore, I am..

Unless it's weeping oil all around the plug to verify the plug is actually leaking, I don't see how water can be getting in around it.

Are you sure water isn't maybe coming in around the axle seals? Just a thought...

Ivan
Old September 10th, 2004, 15:52
NAXJA Forum User

Why not just use a nut and have it welded on to the cover. Use a Hex head stud and some teflon tape to seal it. That or use a bolt with a O ring at the base of the head.

Crane makes a nice cover, bullet proof too!
Old September 10th, 2004, 19:14
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan
Unless it's weeping oil all around the plug to verify the plug is actually leaking, I don't see how water can be getting in around it.

Are you sure water isn't maybe coming in around the axle seals? Just a thought...

Ivan
because the oil level is not over the plug it only splashes up there and not leak out, water could be over it letting it leak in.
Old September 10th, 2004, 19:25
NAXJA Forum User

i would recommend going to the crane covers! I have one on the 8.25 and one on the d30...they are rock solid. i think the website is: http://www.highclearance.com

mike
Old September 10th, 2004, 21:41
NAXJA Forum User

You know, I hadn't thought of the axle seals. I'll check that next. And I have seen the Crane covers, but they're kind of expensive to me just for a diff cover. I only occasionally see rocks here, and I have yet to really whack the rear pig on anything (knock on wood). I'm mainly just concerned with the water getting in.
Old September 11th, 2004, 08:58
NAXJA Forum User

Another often missed area on the Corp 8.25 for water to leak in; is under the brake line distribution block which is bolted to the drivers side axle tube using the hollow vent line bolt.
When I removed the vent line bolt to install a longer brake line I cleaned the axle tube mating surface between the brake line distribution block and the axle tube then added a dab of RTV before reassembling.
No possibility of water leaking in when going thru streams.

Charles
Old September 11th, 2004, 09:48
NAXJA Member #149

I also had problems with water before I re-routed the vent tube. Buy about 12' of tubing and a small in-line fuel filter from the parts store. Remove the old tube and install the new tube routing the tube along the frame along side the fuel lines to the firewall near the brake power booster. Trim off any excess tubing and install the fuel filter in the end of the tube.