NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old July 31st, 2019, 12:34
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Overheating solved

While flow could increase with Rpm's, the pressure is constant based on the system cap. What can be reduced is the cavitation in the system. When the t-stat is closed the water has no place to flow and the pump is still trying to "put-out" causing cavitation. In the case of companies claiming higher flow rates, what is that based on?
Old July 31st, 2019, 12:49
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
While flow could increase with Rpm's, the pressure is constant based on the system cap. What can be reduced is the cavitation in the system. When the t-stat is closed the water has no place to flow and the pump is still trying to "put-out" causing cavitation. In the case of companies claiming higher flow rates, what is that based on?
Well there is a pressure differential in the system across the pump which causes the flow of coolant.

I see what you are saying but shouldn't the thermostat be open if you are having overheating problems? I can see this causing the jeep to heat up faster but with a properly operating cooling system once at operating temp the thermostat should open to control the temp.
Old July 31st, 2019, 15:18
NAXJA Forum User

Yes there would obviously be some pressure differential across the pump, but it can't be much. I think that would be the proper way to test pumps.
Old August 21st, 2020, 13:10
NAXJA Forum User

Having a similar issue with a 2 core champion radiator,high flow pump,180 tstat ,highflow water housing but it seems like the radiator will “heat soak” after about 30-45 min in the city with ac on in 90 degree temps,If you don’t don’t use the ac, she will stay under/around 210 during a 150 mile drive.
Old August 21st, 2020, 13:11
NAXJA Forum User

I have consistent temps up and down the tanks though and hoses are close to the same temp