• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Kingston Peak Clean Up and M&G

Fred

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
It was just myself, Mike(Hypoid), and Rich(DutchVW). We met at the Ranger Station, and waited a bit for the Ranger responsible. Nice guy. Signed waivers, since we were considered unpaid employees by volunteering. My jeep pulled it's usual tricks. Ran a little warmer than it did before the waterpump install, needs another burp or two. The weird thing was when I pulled off the highway, the clutch didn't work. Master cylinder was a little low, but plenty of fluid. I added a bit of brake fluid, and it worked fine after sitting for awhile, and no issues on the way, except getting warmer than I like leaving that hothouse Denver. I rode with Mike on the trail and filled out the paperwork the Forest Service wants. Number of vehicles, ATV's, motorcycles, Mt. Bikes, signs that need fixing with GPS coordinates, off trail violations(just a couple of motorcyclists) and more.

There was a bunch of people up there, but not too many issues traveling the trail. I counted 45 vehicles, 20 some ATV's, bunch of motorcycles, and one Mt. bike. Less than ten instances of littering, and pretty minor. Less than a trash bag full. It's really apparent that people have realized if we don't mend our ways and take care of the forests, vehicles will be banned. The trail was really clean.

Airing down, and somewhat confused on where we were. Lot's of development and roads on the way to the trail.

Ratchet straps don't stay tight on bumpy roads.

Start of trail. I should have brought club stickers to put on the adopt a trail sign.

Starts close to tree line.

Loch something below the trail

Lots of flowers.

Lots of scenery.

Last edited:

The end.

While I was a little disappointed with the turnout, if it was a big group it would have been a real pain to do what we had to do, and get done in any reasonable time. As it was, it was almost 12 hrs for me from leaving the house and getting back. 12 hrs sitting in a car is a pain inducing experience for me. :) Traffic wasn't too annoying.

We had a good start for the season, and we learned much about our adoption. Chalk this one up as a success! :thumbup:

I have yet to upload pictures from the camera.

I really wanted to be there but had a friend in desperate need of a new radiator install in his wife's '08 Libby.

I REALLY need to get my lift and parts on the Eliminator before the next run.

Not so many pictures from me this time.

We saw some of this:
001.jpg

Some of this:
018.jpg

019.jpg

A lot of these:
022.jpg

027.jpg

We also learned the road is kinda choppy in places, and narrow in others. The erosion gives it a little character. :)

I would not try an AWD vehicle on this road...or a trailer. :D

025.jpg

Kingston Peak Clean Up and M&G

Yeah, screw hauling dirt bikes on that trail. I lost several straps, ripped out an anchor point, and damaged the seat on my Yamaha from the Honda falling onto it.

Still, very nice scenery on the trail and it was good to clean it up (not that it needed much).

I had a good time, and the rest of my weekend went fantastic. Lots of fun on trails and camping.

WOW....... only the two of you :dunno:

Yup, we made the first of two runs required by the Forest Service. The second run has to be completed before September 30.

In the next week or two, I'll start a poll. The day with the most votes, is the day we schedule.

You're supposed to remind me to send you some stickers. PM me your address, please.

Remember this thread? http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1007814

ColoradoRaptor said:
How about becoming a member and taking that under your wing!!
Done! :moon:

All ribbing aside, I'm not worried about numbers. This trip was short notice for people to make plans. We got our first run in, we are half-way home.

Just to add some scale, the day after this run, I lead the RMFTC crew on Saxon Rd. Two came up from Colorado Springs (just like Fred), one came up from Castle Rock, one came in from Henderson. Everyone has to arrange their lives to make these runs, most clear hurdles that I do not. I APPRECIATE EVERYONE WHO SHOWS UP!

After eight years of participating in the Adopt-a-Road program, I have observed that more people attend the later runs. A few years ago, one of the RMFTC members suggested setting up polls to schedule the runs. As a result, a club with fewer members, made more runs that season. More people in the club were able to participate, based on the weekends/days listed in the polls. None the less, we had more people attend later in the year.

Going forward, I want to point out that we have (roughly) ten weeks to make two runs. Kingston Peak opens July 15 (depending on snow pack), our second run (per agreement) should be in before September 30.

Since you are looking at numbers, we counted:
55 4WD vehicles.
29 ATVs.
11 Motorcycles.
1 Mountain Bike.
4 Hikers.

We saw two people drive off trail, because we were stopped, and blocking the (narrow) road.

We stopped nine times for litter, a can here, a water bottle there. There was more trash at the North end of the trail.

A few of the unique things about this trail are that it is closed most the year, most of it is above timberline, some of it borders the James Peak Wilderness, and there are not many other trails that feed into this one. Although dispersed camping is allowed, you better hope for good weather to camp above timberline. In short, people don't stay long enough to trash the place.

The next trip might prove me wrong, but I see potential for more traffic related problems on this trail.

Yup, sure do remember. That was back when I was running the trail adoption for Rock Solid Offroad and things were active. We still have the Gulches and Madano pass and little gets done any more except by me. I am the only founding member left and getting people interested in doing that stuff now is like pulling teeth.... Sorry I could not make it as that would be a long day for me and I would have had to call in sick at work. :cheers:

Hey, let us know when you do Medano. That was the first trail I ran circa 1993, and haven't been back since.

Hey, let us know when you do Medano. That was the first trail I ran circa 1993, and haven't been back since.

Will do! :cheers:

ColoradoRaptor said:
We still have the Gulches and Madano pass and little gets done any more except by me. I am the only founding member left and getting people interested in doing that stuff now is like pulling teeth.
I know the sentiment. When the economy tanked, I ran a few times by myself, filled out the monitor forms, picked up some trash, and posted pictures. As members' circumstances improved, attendance went up.

Also, I stopped beating myself up about it. With some planning, we were able to put together a cookout, everybody brought something for the spread. I think a smaller group is easier to work with. Regardless of the group's size, we had good times shooting the bull, looking at builds, and hanging out in general. I see people who have not participated for a few years, come back and do it again. I think, I enjoy doing this more than ever.

Post up your run for Medano, people in your area just might be ready for a day out.

Back