• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 Door Jeep Saging Door & Door Swing Control Thing

Well I am sure this has been covered somewhere else, but could not find it. I have an issue on my 2 door XJ, in that the Drivers Door Sags a little so when I close it it has to pop up a little, and im slowly geting to where I need to Lift the door to close it. I have heard this is common in the Jeep. What is the cause, what is the best fix, to A. fix it right, but not make it a big pain, B. what is the best way to fix it to prevent it.

Also the little stopper that keep the door from swinging to far busted a while ago, seems real common, but can only find new part at dealer, anyone know of another place to get aftermarket. The part of it that busted is internal to the door

Both are drivers door.

u really need to fix this before it gets worse as it w ill not get any better, it really is not that big aof a deal to fix, when i fixed mine, i left the door on and pulled the fender and welded a patch panel behind the hinge and the rewelded the hinge with the door shut so i knew it would line up try this post there is a lot of geed info http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Body/Hinges.htm
good luck

Yes, fix it before it gets worse. If you're lucky, it's only begun to tear away a little, and can be welded back together. There's also a reinforcement kit, I think, that allows you to add a bolt. Might be worth checking a dealership if it's still available. If it gets too bad, the hinge will come right off, and then (believe me!) it's a bear to get back on well.

You should also make very sure that you get that door check replaced, and while you're at it, make sure that the part it bolts into on the door has not bulged out. If it has, you would do well to try shortening the check, by drilling a new hole a quarter inch or so further in, and grinding off the excess.

What happens here is that the door is so heavy the check mechanism does not stop it in time when it's swung open. The hinges have a stop built into them, and when the door hits that second stop, it causes the hinges to pull outward from the frame of the car. The check is, of course, supposed to stop the door before that happens, but on a 2-door it doesn't for long.

You can improve it a little by grinding away the stops in the hinges a little so that they don't hit so early.

Finally, make sure the pins in the hinges aren't worn out, because it will sag then no matter how well the hinges are attached, and finally finally, make sure that the door has not come loose from its skin. Eventually it can do that, and then the door will sag no matter what you do about anything at all!~

My wifes 97ZJ did this back in jan or feb, the bushings in the hinge were worn out. got a repair kit off ebay, enough to do 4 doors, new bushings and pins, for $15. Gotta wonder why the bean counters did not use the same hinges as the ZJ to save a couple of bucks, thank god they did not use XJ hinges on the ZJ though. The ZJ repair took all of 15 minutes.

I finally replaced the pin on the door check last week, got rid of the roll pin I put in there 3 or 4 years ago that groaned and would come out every once in a while, used the correct tapered roll pin with the steps in so that it locked the pin in once I drove it down all the way.

Thanks all, very good info. Looks like I now know what my first big project will be once I am healed from surgery.

Back