• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stock axels and 35s

jeepinxj99

NAXJA Forum User
my 99s got the 8.25 in the rear and i believe a dana 30 up front........im just wondering if running 35s with 4.88 gears would be fine or is the 30 to weak? wont do my rock crawling or to hardcore stuff, just trying to plan out cause im getting a new lift........

prepare for breakage... get rid of the rear and put in a 44...lot of people keep a 30 up front but here the general consensus is better safe than sorry especially if its locked... 4.56 are OK with 35 but you should consider what your going to be doing with daily driving vs. actual trail riding... some go with a axle upgrade from superior or alloy usa but even those cro mo shafts can be had for a 44 or used 9 inch + installation...also consider labor unless you can do all that stuff... so many options but better safe than sorry

4.56's is ok for 35's, as for people bashing the 8.25, they are just jumping on the get a 44 band wagon, a 29 spline 8.25 is "just as strong" as a stock d44, but.....it all comes down on how hard you wheel it.

Last edited:
no offence but if you "think you have a D30 in the front" what the f are you doing thinking about 4:88's and 35's and a new lift

sorry its late, iv been drinking, and some times the combo makes me less noob tolarent

mack said:
4.56's is ok for 35's, as for people bashing the 8.25, they are just jumping on the get a 44 band wagon, a 29 spline 8.25 is "just as strong" as a stock d44, but.....it all comes down on how hard you wheel it.
hahahah. a lot of people run 4.56's with 35's, itsbeen covered many times before.

yep...me too, so why are you quoting me??
skyjackedxj96 said:
hahahah. a lot of people run 4.56's with 35's, itsbeen covered many times before.

aparke4 said:
prepare for breakage... get rid of the rear and put in a 44...lot of people keep a 30 up front but here the general consensus is better safe than sorry especially if its locked... 4.56 are OK with 35 but you should consider what your going to be doing with daily driving vs. actual trail riding... some go with a axle upgrade from superior or alloy usa but even those cro mo shafts can be had for a 44 or used 9 inch + installation...also consider labor unless you can do all that stuff... so many options but better safe than sorry

do you actualy know what your talking about through experience? cuz it doesnt sound that way

He wants 35's and 4:88's, thats fine, except he has to loose the rear axle if he wants those gears, the front will be fine, especialy if its open

Your 29 spline 8.25 will last longer than the d30 with 35s.

It all depends on how you use your XJ. Mall cruising, DD, just for looks, hunting, driving dirt roads, Posing. 35's with 4:56 and stock axles are perfect. If, you plan on playing on the rocks or do serious wheeling then think about upgrading your axles and gearing.
One example: D44 rear 4:88 gears alloy axles. D30 up front 4:88 gears alloy axles. Carry spare parts.

4.88's and 35's are fine on a D30 and a what ever you got out back( well maybe not a D35).:explosion
It depends on how you drive mostly. I have a D30 front Arb and D44lockrite rear with 4.88 and 35's and I have wheeled Clawhammer and other moderate trails with no axle problems yet( knock on wood). I dont' hammer my rig and baby it on the hard stuff. Yes I do carry alot of spares but it has worked fine for a few years now.
you always want more so go big now.

right now i wheel mine pretty hard (as hard as a 3.5 in and 31's can) but im wanting a 5.5 or 6 in. possibly a long arm lift and i just dont want to get the 33's and then a month later want 35s like ive done before. My jeeps a daily driver but i also take her on the trails.....i think 33s may be best just to be safe, i dont have the funds or ability for the axel swap right now...

jeepinxj99 said:
right now i wheel mine pretty hard (as hard as a 3.5 in and 31's can) but im wanting a 5.5 or 6 in. possibly a long arm lift and i just dont want to get the 33's and then a month later want 35s like ive done before. My jeeps a daily driver but i also take her on the trails.....i think 33s may be best just to be safe, i dont have the funds or ability for the axel swap right now...
i hope you have funds and ability for at least a gear swap

Back