• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oxgen Acetylene welding

jsparhwk

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
So I thinnk I've done enough looking for posts bfr writing
but...
my Dad got me a OA welding setup from Harbor Freight (everything but the tanks) and it went unopened for a few years but have a new XJ and am looking up tanks, does anyone have recommendations? I was looking at maybe a 40 cubic ft capacity for a balance of portability and run time? the chart I found said this equaled an hour of runtime, is this reality.

I've tinkered with MIG at another shop but don't have the power to support it, and what I've read is if I can figure out OA all the other welding styles will come easier.

would you agree with this?
and what tank sizes would you recommend?
pricing seems to vary wildly from $90 to $230 per tank for the same size.

Last edited:
if I have posted this in the wrong area or need to more info let me
know, just trying to make a decision on what tank sizes I should buy...
thanks

been away from NAXJA for awhile, but have a 'new' Jeep to start on...

\

I'm going to recommend you visit your local welding supply.

My old work truck had a portable set that fit in the gang box. I guess the bottles might last up to an hour, usually less. I made it a point to become more efficient with the torch because it sucked to get halfway through a repair and run out of gas.

Whatever size bottles you get, you will have to keep the Acetylene bottle upright in storage and use. If you lay it horizontal for any length of time, you need to set it vertical for the same amount of time before using it. You also need to keep them from falling over and damaging the valve.

All the safety stuff aside, an Oxy/Acetylene set is still very useful. Yes, you will learn how to puddle, braze, solder, cut: It does take practice.

I would say 40cf is a reasonable choice. Mine are somewhere in that range. My oxygen tank may be a bit larger. In cutting, once you get the cut started you are pretty much just running the oxygen.

It is definitely a good way to learn to weld. Learning oxy/acetylene will give you a much better understanding of what needs to happen with the puddle and will keep you from thinking a MIG welder is a glue gun. It will probably also try your patience, but I encourage you to stick with it. It is a very useful skill and is much to be valued for its portability.

Back