• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sierra Fest Coordination/Questions

2xtreme

NAXJA Forum User
At least a couple of us from the NW chapter are planning on coming down to Sierra Fest (we are currently trying to coordinate any others).

I plan to come down with my motorhome and trailer the jeep. My wife and kids will most likely stay in the motorhome and camp while I am on the trail.

The reason for my post is to see if I can find from you experts the best places for my wife and kids to camp? If there are others that might be doing the same? Would it be convenient for me to meet up with them between the trails?

Any experience or info is appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael

I think your best bet is plunk them down in an RV campground like Thousand Trails, which is only one mile from the Fordyce Trail entrance, and right off of Highway 80. The other option is to put them a little closer to Lake tahoe, there are RV places in Truckee and along the Truckee River all the way to the Lake.

However, the way the schedule stands now, if you dropped them at Fordyce, you wouldn't see them for a week! If you want to see them between Barrett and Rubicon, you could put them at Ice House Resort, where we'll likely have dinner on Sunday night.

I think it depends on what day you're getting there, and leaving. If you don't run Fordyce at the end, then either Ice House or something along Lake Tahoe. If you run Fordyce, I'd do Lake Tahoe. You could get a place near Tahoma, where the Rubicon will come out, and you could even come out from the 'Con a day early so you could spend a couple of nights with the family before heading over to Fordyce. If you set them up at Ice House, you'll be with them both Friday night before Barrett and Sunday night for the dinner and raffle before doing the 'Con. You should look at a map and get a feel for the distances and the flow of where we'll be going.

Ice House Resort is near Ice House Resevoir, a little north of Hwy 50 east of Pollack Pines. The start of Barrett is a little east of there at Wrights Lake, and the trail comes out the way it goes in. The start of the Rubicon is north of Ice House at Loon Lake, and it comes out on Lake Tahoe at Tahoma. The start of Fordyce is just off Interstate 80 on the north side at Cisco Grove, and the return is coming south on Hwy 89 back to Truckee. If you have a good enough map you should be able to find this stuff and get some ideas.

Do you know yet what days you'll be there?

Thanks for the input so far.

My current plan is to be there for all three trails (probably get there on Thursday night the 10th or there abouts).

Thanks for the info on where each of the trails starts and stops. I will try to find some decent maps to help find some appropriate places for camping near by that make sense.

Are there commonly other family's there for the dinners? raffles? etc?

I look forward to spending some time on the trail with all of you!!

Michael

So from my preliminary look at the maps (web based).

I think I will set up camp for the first weekend near the Ice House Res area. Then have them move over to the South Lake Tahoe or Tahoma area for the rest of the week.

Are there places that "most" of the group will be camping the first weekend near Ice House? I assume these are the places that Bryan mentioned are not open yet and will provide info for later when they are?

Thanks again for all of the info.

Michael

Back