• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sierra Fest event info

Bryan C.

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
On behalf of your Sierra Chapter BOD and the many important people behind the scenes I would like to announce the Sierra Chapter's National Event for 2006. August 12 - 20 2006 "Sierra Fest" will bring you 9 days of fun and adventure on 3 of California's most scenic and difficult 4WD trails.

This is the updated schedule of events. Due to a conflict with Sierra Trek we will need to move the Fordyce Creek trail and Barrett Lake trail dates. All dates are tentative and subject to change as needed.

The run will start on Saturday August 12th at the Barrett Lake Jeep Trail. We will run the trail into Barrett lake and camp at the lake. Sunday the 13th we will finish the trail and head over to Icehouse Resort for the meet and greet BBQ and fundraiser raffle. On Monday the 14th we will run the Rubicon Trail in the traditional direction. We will have some fun at Soup Bowl, Little Sluice, and through True Sluice en route to our camp spot at Buck Island Lake. Tuesday will be a relaxing day at lake for hiking, swimming, and exporing the area. Wednesday will be a leisurely run to Rubicon Springs for the night. Thursday we will finish the trail and head to town for supplies. We we be spending Thurday night near the Fordyce Creek trailhead for an early start on the trail Friday morning. The plan is to camp on the trail Friday night and Saturday night and finish the trail Sunday. There will likely be a group wanting to finish the trail on Satruday and head home.

This run will be limited to NAXJA members only and there will be minimum vehicle requirements to attend. While we do not like to limit anyone's access to our chapter runs, it is important to keep the group size managable due to the constraints of the Sierra trails. Guests are welcome, but will be considered on a case by case basis only so please PM me with your requests. Unfortunately there will be a limit on the number of guests invited on the run.

Minimum requirements are will vary based on the trail. Barrett Lake and Fordyce Creek the minimum requirements will be 33" tires and one full locker. Also needed is a working knowledge of your rig and adequate spare parts. For the Rubicon we will have relaxed rig requirements. If you have successfully run the rubicon with your current set-up you are welcome to attend. Vehicles must still meet the typical rig requirements.
Typical Sierra Chapter Rubicon requirements are:
One locker or two limited slips.
-31" tires
-Spare front axle shafts if you are running 260 joints.
-Spare rear shafts if you have a Dana 35 or a 27 spline 8.25.
-tow strap
-tow points front and rear
-T-case skid.
-Appropriate gearing for tire size. For example: 31's could run stock 3.55's, 33's should have at least 4.11's, 35's should have 4.56's. Low T-case gears can make up for diff gearing deficiencies.
-Spare tie rod and drag link if you are running 33's or larger and still have stock steering.

Stuff that is nice to have:
-If you care about body damage, get some rocker skids. The 'Con LOVES to bite XJ rockers when running smaller lifts/tires.

(list adapted/stolen from CRASH and Phil)

NAXJA required equipment:
1. Visably charged fire extinguisher(BC or ABC)
2. First aid kit
3. Adequate spare tire, jack, and lug wrench
4. Safety belts for driver and any current passenger (belts must be worn at all times while vehicle is moving!)
5. Adequate attachment points in the front and rear of the vehicle
6. Snatch strap without any metal hooks
7. Secured battery(no bungee cords!)

CB radio is highly recommended.

A yet to be determined event fee will be required and will include the BBQ dinner on Sunday the 13th plus camping fees for Rubicon Springs and Icehouse Resort.

In the evening on Sunday August 13th we will be having a BBQ and fund raiser raffle with the proceeds benefitting The Rubicon Trail Foundation. The BBQ and raffle will be held at Icehouse resort near the beginning of the Rubicon. We will be accepting cash donations as well.

Barrett Lake has a limited number of places to park a tow rig so you may want to come early. Camping is available at the trailhead but will be limited and a reservation will likely be needed that time of year. Icehouse resort has small cabins available to rent for a substantial rate by reservation, might want to find a buddy to split the room with. Tow rig parking is available at Icehouse for $5 a night. For the Fordyce Creek trail, the Cisco Grove campground has pay per use showers availabe as well as tow rig parking for $5 a night. Once the places open for the season I will post up the contact information.

For those that have yet to join NAXJA and really want to attend this run, now is the time to join. Don't miss out on what is sure to be one of the best runs of the year.

I hope to see you in August
Bryan C.

Last edited:
In for Fordyce.

I'm there. And hopefully my rig won't be down for another year afterwards.

Bryan, any word on a possible schedule change to not conflict with Sierra Trek?

Goatman said:
Bryan, any word on a possible schedule change to not conflict with Sierra Trek?

I think the way it looks right now the Fordyce and Barrett lake portions of the trip will swap weekends. Still working on the schedule but I will update it in the next few days once I get some minor details worked out.

CRASH said:
In for Fordyce.

Edit: In for wherever we are the first weekend!

Actually, a dinner Sun night at Ice House could be much easier than doing it at Meadow Lake.

Ok I updated the run schedule of events and the rig requirements in the first post. Please check this thread for any run updates.

To think I have all of this time off. But already made some promises to Danielle. We will be hitting NW Fest and then driving down to Disneyland.

Jason

Heh...

You gonna rent something if your rig breaks? :shocked:

edit: I know... rent one of THESE!
t0p4dh.jpg

Last edited:
Back