• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driver's side automatic window is stuck

Hey all,

In an effort to learn how to fix things on my Xj myself, I thought I'd ask on here to see how easy/hard it would be to fix the window regulator (or whatever it's called) on my Jeep.

I rolled my window up today, and there was a loud pop, which I thought was odd, so I rolled it down again and it didn't move for awhile then it went down pretty fast and now I can't get it up again.

I have automatic windows, so I'm assuming that maybe it slid too far down or something. My dad's Jeep had a similar issue but with his, it was the opposite; the driver's side window wouldn't roll down.

Anyway, when I click the button that controls the window, it just makes noise but the window doesn't budge.

Any ideas before I take it to the dealer?

Sounds like the window has disconnected itself from the regulator. Although it may have just come loose and deteached, more likely something broke. It's not that hard to see what's wrong - just removed the screws holding the door panel on and pop it off. Remove the water curtain that's taped to the inner door and then see if you can see what's wrong.

xj88superjeep said:
Do a search on "window regulator fix" and save yourself about $150 + labor. :)
Try $448! Too late. I took it to the dealer this afternoon. I was hoping for a slightly quicker response on here. Oh well.

you need to find a good mechanic. that would have literally taken 3 hours max, and a trip to the junk yard. what was the labor rate per hour? what did they do? just curious.

NCjeepgirl83 said:
Try $448! Too late. I took it to the dealer this afternoon. I was hoping for a slightly quicker response on here. Oh well.
OUCH! that info isn't that hard to find, though. it's not hidden. Oh well, I guess in your case, choices were:

a. do a search

b. wait until someone finds the info for you

c. pay a helluva lot of money!

I would have chosen a different option... :twak:

xj88superjeep said:
OUCH! that info isn't that hard to find, though. it's not hidden. Oh well, I guess in your case, choices were:

a. do a search

b. wait until someone finds the info for you

c. pay a helluva lot of money!

I would have chosen a different option... :twak:
Well I also needed the driver's side door aligned, and I wasn't about to tackle that myself.

Oh, and when you said do a search, did you mean search on Google, or on here, or what?

NCjeepgirl83 said:
Well I also needed the driver's side door aligned, and I wasn't about to tackle that myself.

Oh, and when you said do a search, did you mean search on Google, or on here, or what?
Did they have to reweld the door hinge?

I am gonna buy a welder some day and do my hinges. LOL

I will admit, the search on these message boards are a LOT of hit and miss, but as with this one, some are easy to find. If you google search, I think you get better results, because you get more specific hits on this board, and alot of other boards too. Not to mention, searching google will find you the cool tech articles that guys put on their Jeep websites. It's cool to see a girl get into her Jeep, and want to try to fix stuff!!! I was a little hard on you! LOL Sorry, it was in fun!

xj88superjeep said:
Did they have to reweld the door hinge?

I am gonna buy a welder some day and do my hinges. LOL

I will admit, the search on these message boards are a LOT of hit and miss, but as with this one, some are easy to find. If you google search, I think you get better results, because you get more specific hits on this board, and alot of other boards too. Not to mention, searching google will find you the cool tech articles that guys put on their Jeep websites. It's cool to see a girl get into her Jeep, and want to try to fix stuff!!! I was a little hard on you! LOL Sorry, it was in fun!

It's okay, I wasn't upset with you, I hope it didn't come across that way. I have no flipping clue why they charge $488 for a WINDOW REGULATOR! I'm sure the actual item itself costs $100 or less, and the rest is labor charges.

What's worse, they haven't quoted me a price on the door re-alignment yet :banghead:

You could have do the regulator yourself its an easy job. The hardest or more time consuming part is drilling the rivets out that hold it on. I bolted mine back just for ease of changing it again because I used the old one out of my parts jeep. I figured with my luck it will stop working in a month or two. You do definately need to find you a good mechanic that you can trust and let him start working on it. I know a guy in Charlotte that does alot of work on wranglers and all and he has a welder and all too. I can talk to him and see if he would help you out some when needed. The only problem is once you see his TJ you will want him to build your Cherokee and then your gonna be talking some money.:yelclap:

Chad29860 said:
You could have do the regulator yourself its an easy job. The hardest or more time consuming part is drilling the rivets out that hold it on. I bolted mine back just for ease of changing it again because I used the old one out of my parts jeep. I figured with my luck it will stop working in a month or two. You do definately need to find you a good mechanic that you can trust and let him start working on it. I know a guy in Charlotte that does alot of work on wranglers and all and he has a welder and all too. I can talk to him and see if he would help you out some when needed. The only problem is once you see his TJ you will want him to build your Cherokee and then your gonna be talking some money.:yelclap:
Hey! Thanks so much, I would really appreciate if you could talk to him and see if he'd be willing to help me out. That'd be great!

NCjeepgirl83 said:
It's okay, I wasn't upset with you, I hope it didn't come across that way. I have no flipping clue why they charge $488 for a WINDOW REGULATOR! I'm sure the actual item itself costs $100 or less, and the rest is labor charges.

What's worse, they haven't quoted me a price on the door re-alignment yet :banghead:

The dealer I took my cherokee to told me it would be cheaper for me to just take it to a bodyshop to fix my door, because they were gonna outsource it anyway, and it was gonna be a LOT. They were gonna make me wait for the quote too. Thats when I decided I'd get a welder some day before my door falls off.

Wow. F*cking amazing. $779.39 later and I have this:

DSCN1535.jpg

DSCN1531.jpg

Oh, and the interior lights won't turn off, no matter what I do. :banghead:

This is what I think of Metrolina Chrys/Jeep/Dodge: :gonnablow

They replaced the front brake pads, rotors, etc, and then had the courtesy to inform me that the rear ones were 79% worn, and that the transfer case and differential may require future attention, all according to their 32-point vehicle inspection.
rolleyes.gif

I tell ya, if there's one thing I've learned in my life, it's that you just can't win.

And while I'm at it, this is what the bottom of my driver's door looks like mis-lined up to the body:

DSCN1533.jpg

Last edited:
Back