• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Attaching front tabs to custom bumper

xj92

NAXJA Forum User
I made a custom front bumper (1/4" steel), the mounting system goes all the way back to cover the large oval holes, there is another reinforced piece that it attaches to also, which attaches to the front crossmember, etc. My question is about the tabs that go on the front where you can put a D-Ring in them for recovery purposes. I can come up with lots of ideas to make them bulletproof , but I want to know if it would be strong enough to just weld the tab directly to the front of the bumper, as long as it's a good weld? My last C-Rok bumper had it that way but I never tried it out. What are everyone's thoughts?

Yeah, dumb question. I'll spend the extra time and do it bulletproof so I never have to think twice about it. 2" thick seems overkill though, and like extra weight. I'm thinking 3/4" or 1" thick, all the way through the c-channel, welded on all three sides inside the bumper as well as outside.

Back