• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reese on the front bumper

prljeep

NAXJA Forum User
I found a Reese hitch in my garage the other day and would like to install it on the front bumper. The hitch is the type that you simply bolt to the rear bumper using the three hitch holes (on most bumpers).
I doubt just affixing it to the front bumper would hold a thing? Right?

Thanks
PRL

Not a stock bumper, no. Stock XJ bumpers aren't much more than tinfoil.

Even the OEM towhook mounts use reinforcing plates rather than the stock bumper mounts as well.

If you look at the stock front bumper mounting brackets you will notice they are just stamped sheet metal......they break easily....(I pulled my front bumper off of the rig while towing it) If you plan on doing any mounting hardware work tie it all into the 'frame' as best you can.....
and you know this will take some custom work on your part....

Even the small "dead weight" hitch from the factory on teh rear bumper wasn't only attached to the bumper, it hit the body as well. To give perspective of bumper bracket strentgh (and the front isn't more than the rear) my Jeep was hit at maybe 10 mph at the rear, when I finally replaced teh bumper (three years later!) I saw that one of the bumper brackets was torn.

Back