• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FS: NV242 pulled from 2004 WJ - $200 OBO

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
I have an NV242 transfer case (full- and part-time transfer case w/ 2.72:1 low range) pulled from a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee (WJ) that I ultimately opted not to use in my XJ due to the machine work needed to make it work for my application. Case is in excellent shape with only 2 issues:

• The slinger on the rear output shaft has been damaged due to my naiveté at the time of purchase - tried to remove it to verify the presence of speedometer gear splines on the mainshaft, but never followed through once I decided to keep my NP231. I can obtain and replace this free of charge prior to sale if desired.
  • One bolt was removed for use on my NP231, as I lost one while rebuilding it in a cramped garage. Can also take care of this if desired.
The case was removed from a rolled vehicle and was verified to work perfectly before I pulled it from the vehicle in question. Fluid level might be low due to being stored upside-down for a bit (a puddle of gear oil coming from the box was the big clue on this one).

This would be a great upgrade for anyone with a Grand Cherokee that has the terrible NV249 transfer case. Get yourself some real 4WD. All you'd need is the appropriate shifter bezel, which I could also get for you if desired - existing shift linkage should work fine.

If not buying locally, buyer pays freight.

Back