• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

You Tube video of my engine issue

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
NAXJA Member
Blew an upper radiator hose yesterday on the highway. Drove about .5-.75 miles to a safe spot to pull over.

Changed the hose this morning and filled the radiator (took about 1.75 gallons). Tried to start and it wouldn't. Eventually it did start, but wouldn't stay running at idle. When I finally got it started, I heard this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe_GHztdP0s

The oil is not milky at all, although I think it's low. The plugs are dry. I know that the Jeep uses some oil. I've been changing it every 3000 miles and am less than 1000 miles away from the next oil change.

Wondering if low oil caused the Jeep to get hot and blow the line. Considering changing the oil and seeing if that fixes it.

Help...this is my daily driver.

UPDATE-

Did an oil change. Still won't start and is still smoking a little. I was down 2 quarts.

It is considerably quieter, but when I have the key on accessory, the check engine light and the low oil pressure light remain on.

Well, the engine is toast. Overheated and blew a hole in the block or the head, but eitherway, the Hemi is a big old paperweight now.

Sorry to hear that!

Would be interested why it blew the upper rad hose in the 1st place.
Almost like you had the engine issue 1st, and it over-pressured the cooling system.

Apparently the pre-09 Hemis had an issue with the valve seats and they were prone to go with overheating.

I'd had an issue with overheating about 2 months ago and had a brand new radiator put in. Not sure why the hose split. I guess it was just old?

Not sure which came first. The engine made no noise at all on the highway when the hose split open. After it cooled, I was able to start it one more time with no noise or issue and it idled. When I got home 90 minutes later, the engine was toast.

Back