• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Good Old Days

PacificEd

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1070607

This event popped up on my Facebook feed the other day. I started thinking about the good old days of the SEC when we had tons of active people. I looked at the names and some I haven't seen or heard in a long time. Others are no longer with us.

We did something that day that hasn't been repeated. A lot, and I mean A LOT, of people came together from all over the eastern part of the US to help a fellow XJ owner. Several chapters from 7 states (I think that was what I remember)! How amazing was that?

Many of us have new jobs, children, and new vehicles that replaced the XJ's that we relied on for dialer driver duty and weekend wheeling. Facebook hasn't helped forum based clubs. Now it seems like we talk a lot of FB but don't actually get together to do anything anymore.

I've got to get out of this rut.

Remember the meet & greets at Barfield Park in Murfreesboro? Those were so much fun. Cooking out, looking at Jeeps and just hanging out.

I need some wrench time in the shop.

Last edited:
I remember the good old days when there were always guys in my garage on the weekend fixing rigs. Most were early 20's. They were eager to learn how to do it. Those guys are now in their 40's and have moved on.

I remember when you didn't have to worry about the price of gas to go to the mountains. Its not as bad as it was a couple of years ago as far as gas prices, but everybody seems to have less discretionary money and is having to struggle just to make ends meet.

I think you are correct on the money part. They finished school, started families and now the money that was there, just isn't.

Man, that was a hell of a day. That build, man, we must of had 20 guys there from Ohio, Tennessee, Indiana, Alabama, maybe more. If I remember right, a few guys pitched a tent behind your shop and slept there.

https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1156046

It's hard to get out when the kids get old enough where they won't just do whatever Dad wants. I haven't been on the trail since I rolled the Jeep in July 2018. I'm counting down the days until this ride.

Ed, you let us know when you want to wrench!

I've been out of it for a while since going back to school and starting a real career, and having a little one, but now that my kid is big enough to go wheeling with me, and seems to be really interested in motorized hobbies like jeeps, dirtbikes, etc, I am hoping to get back into things.
I replaced xj's as my daily driver permanently when I finally bit the bullet and bought a new Tacoma. But now that I don't have to rely on my wheelin rig, I can have fun with less worry.
I would love to see the xj family revived, at least the few of ya that I actually like, haha.

I'll be moving quickly on my xj this fall and winter, in an effort to make a New Year's Day run to Wooly's.
I'm working on getting a house with a garage, and if all goes well, will be moving in about 3 weeks or so. Once that settles down, perhaps a wrench fest could take place at my house, if anybody wants to drive to the middle of nowhere, lol. It's the opposite end of nowhere from Ed, though.
FWIW, I've been off Facebook for about a decade now, and forums are the only social networking I do these days, lol.

I remember the old days. Multiple meet n greets throughout the year where I met some of my best friends still today. But, like you said, life happens and things change.

I think the rise in popularity of social media over the years and the fact it's getting harder and harder to find XJ's and MJ's have resulted in a now quiet forum.

Once that settles down, perhaps a wrench fest could take place at my house, if anybody wants to drive to the middle of nowhere, lol. It's the opposite end of nowhere from Ed, though.

What?!? I don't live in the middle of nowhere. :laugh:

Things change. I've seen a lot of it in my life time.

I'm down for wrenching and meeting up. Looking forward to the LBL ride coming up one week from this Saturday.

Back