• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken Caliper Bolt

CaptainCfo

NAXJA Forum User
Was replacing the front brakes on my '99, and snapped the lower bolt holding the caliper in on the driver side. Only issue is that there isn't really enough of the bolt left in the mounting point to really grab it, and I lack 100% of the needed tools for extraction so prolly was just gonna pay someone to do it.

While obviously I should not be driving this thing, think it'll be okay for a 4 mile drive to the shop as long as I take it easy on the brakes? Won't be going above 40 at any point.

All you need is a drill and a "easy-out"!

My experience with EZ-Outs says the EZ-Out will break off in the bolt. It is one thing if the bolt was sheared off by an excessive side load, but if the bolt snapped off while trying to turn it then the odds are good the EZ-Out will do the same thing. And leave you with a worse problem than you initially had.

Given what the OP has said he is probably better off letting a shop fight it out for him. Hopefully he has a competent shop to work with.

I agree, I've never had an EZ-out work, personally. You could try drilling it out, but that's a long and painful process too, and you'll probably have to re-tap the hole, or at least chase the threads. I've been there too many times, I'd take it in and let someone else do it. Especially if you don't have the tools.

I have had them work, but never on a bolt that I broke while trying to unscrew it.

If you take the rotor off, you should be able to access the hole from the outside.

Some penetrating oil and lot's of heat should loosen it up.

Key to successful "easyout-ing" is to drill in the center and drill straight using quality drill bits and easyouts.

I've gotten some pretty nasty ones out (thermostat housing, motor mounts, exhaust) using these.

tbW1dhd.jpg

Can't recommend driving with the bolt gone.

Although not recommended, you can drive with a bolt missing. Apparently one of mine was missing for quite a while; when I did my brakes the first time after buying it, the rotor and pads were wore very weirdly with one bolt missing.

What about a left handed drill bit? Depending on how far the o.p. has this ting broken off into the knuckle, I would try it before the easy out (I'm assuming its unlikely op has access to a dang good easy out).

I wonder if it matters which bolt broke? If the bottom bolt is toast and you were to drive forward, would this not potentially throw the caliper outward into the wheel?

Back