• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Door Locks only work with key out of ignition

Old Man Minimalist

NAXJA Forum User
I have a strange occurrence that has me stumped. With the key off and out of the ignition my power door locks work fine. Lock, unlock from both the drivers switch and passenger switch.

But when I insert the key into the ignition only the unlock function works. The lock side is dead.

This is with key in ignition in OFF, ACC or ON position, doesn't matter.

Pull the key out and it works.

Any ideas? I did try new drivers and passenger switches and it made no difference so I doubt it's that. Thanks.

Mine started locking itself when it wanted too and finally locked me out at the ATM one day with the motor running so it's dis-connected now!

What year is your XJ?

I have a strange occurrence that has me stumped. With the key off and out of the ignition my power door locks work fine. Lock, unlock from both the drivers switch and passenger switch.

But when I insert the key into the ignition only the unlock function works. The lock side is dead.

This is with key in ignition in OFF, ACC or ON position, doesn't matter.

Pull the key out and it works.

Any ideas? I did try new drivers and passenger switches and it made no difference so I doubt it's that. Thanks.

His profile says '99

BTW, the controls all originate from passenger side switch assembly.

From the FSM:

"The power lock system allows all of the doors and the liftgate to be locked or unlocked electrically by operating the switch on either front door trim panel. This system operates with battery power supplied through a fuse in the junction block, independent of the ignition switch. The power lock system includes a lock inhibit feature, which prevents the doors from being locked by the power lock system if the driver door is open with the key in the ignition switch or with the headlamp switch in the On position. However, the lock inhibit feature will not prevent manual locking of the vehicle using the manual lock buttons or the key cylinders."

From the FSM:

"The power lock system allows all of the doors and the liftgate to be locked or unlocked electrically by operating the switch on either front door trim panel. This system operates with battery power supplied through a fuse in the junction block, independent of the ignition switch. The power lock system includes a lock inhibit feature, which prevents the doors from being locked by the power lock system if the driver door is open with the key in the ignition switch or with the headlamp switch in the On position. However, the lock inhibit feature will not prevent manual locking of the vehicle using the manual lock buttons or the key cylinders."

I read that this morning also. I wonder if it is that simple? I'll close the door tonight when I get home and see if that works. I assume it's actuated by the button that turns the interior lights on and off?

Thanks all for the help and responses. It was as simple as closing the drivers door. Everything works as it should.

Next up will be adding a remote unlock kit. I have the transmitter but no fobs and I hear you are better off going aftermarket in this case.

Looks pretty simple to install and I have the dome light out right now as part of my interior overhaul.

I am interested in your rke [remote keyless entry] board if you are going aftermarket. Or I can test and program fobs to your board if it is still functional I am interested in all 97-01 boards

I am interested in your rke [remote keyless entry] board if you are going aftermarket. Or I can test and program fobs to your board if it is still functional I am interested in all 97-01 boards

I'm in the process of returning my XJ to as close to factory configuration as I can so I want to keep the board since it came with it from the factory and is listed on the build sheet.

To test and program a fob, what would that cost? If I could get a couple (or even one) OEM fob and have it work, that would be cool.

Back