• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ign. timing (was dist. indexing, too much cam)

TJS93xj

NAXJA Forum User
What should the base ign. timing be at idle?

In my search for some of the odd symptoms I'm getting after the rebuild I checked the timing this morning at idle and it is sitting at about 12*. The odd thing is at idle it seems to bounce around quite a bit. It will jump up to 16 -18 and back down to 8-10 and then settle in at 12 for a couple seconds then do it again. When it jumps it is a very quick sporadic kind of thing taking not even a second to jump up, down, and back to twelve again. With the wife bumping the RPM up to 900-1000 it stays a nice steady 12 -14*. As more throttle is added it advances like I think it should.

Still trying to understand the system so I've got a couple more questions as well. Will turning the dist. housing small amounts affect the timing I see with a light (ear is ground off for indexing)
or does it only affect the relationship between the cam sensor and the CPS?

I also went through and checked the vacuum system again and there are no leaking lines. Found the check valve ( located at the manifold on my '93) and pulled it after the jeep had sat all night. Still a good strong vacuum left in the bottle and lines.

Found another odd thing that leads me to believe I may have a head gasket prob. but I will put that in another post.

Thanks

Tim

If the timing "flickers" back and forth sort of jerky and extremely rapid...sounds mechanical...very loose timing chain or sloppy distributor internals...possibly a missing camshaft thrust pin or broken spring...is the engine noisy?? But i guess it could be in the engine control/ignition system too...

Back