• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas Prices

RichP

NAXJA Forum User
Time to revive this thread maybe. Been watching, in a week it went from 1.89 to 2.11 in the poconos. In NJ it dropped from 1.95 last monday to 1.71 yesterday. Don't understand why nobodys been arrested here in Pa for profittering...

Gas prices here in Ut have gone up .o8-.09 cents a gallon in the last week. Here they said on the news that it was going to up then back down because of all the gas they had to ship to Florida during the huricanes. Sounds like a load a crap to me..Just another excuse to raise prices....again :tear:

We've gone from an eyeball average of around $2.00/gallon (I'm assuming 87-octane) to around $2.40/gallon here in L.A. over the last four weeks. I don't know what's causing this, but we're basically getting bent over and made to take it.

I found a gas receipt in my car from last February - just before I bought the XJ, in fact. I paid $1.72/gallon for premium, so regular was probably around the $1.55 mark. Assuming a $2.40 gallon now, that's an increase of 55% in seven months.

Hm, how high do the prices have to go before people start to revolt...

1.85- 1.89 loacally, but its 1.80 on base (where I usually fill up at). This is in GA too! I remember about 3-4 years back when ATL had the cheapest in the nation, 67 cents per gallon! I've cut down on my "driving around" lately due to this BS gas hike.

DrMoab said:
Gas prices here in Ut have gone up .o8-.09 cents a gallon in the last week. Here they said on the news that it was going to up then back down because of all the gas they had to ship to Florida during the huricanes. Sounds like a load a crap to me..Just another excuse to raise prices....again :tear:

That was the whole thing, they never shipped any to florida till the hurricanes were gone and the power was restored. Some areas on the east coast were out of power for close to 10 days so they actually had an excess of gas they could not get rid of...

imma honky said:
1.85- 1.89 loacally, but its 1.80 on base (where I usually fill up at). This is in GA too! I remember about 3-4 years back when ATL had the cheapest in the nation, 67 cents per gallon! I've cut down on my "driving around" lately due to this BS gas hike.
You guys in Georga suck! I remember paying like .69 cents a gallon about six years ago in Dalton.
I really truly hate the government involving itself in our lives but I think they need to standardize gas prices nationwide and then have some kind of oversight group to make sure the Saudis aren't bending us over.
Its too bad the world isn't a more perfect place...if everyone could afford to buy a hybrid car to go to work in and cut the demand down a ton they would have to lower prices. I know this isn't and option but man it would be cool to see the oil companys sweat it and wonder if they were going to be able to feed there kids for a change.
Like I said as much as I hate big brother looking over my sholder I wish they would controll the oil companys a little better.

I just payed $1.87 in Naperville at the BP on RT59 yesterday. Most of the stations around here run between $2.04-$2.15 a gallon, so I didn't think twice about making the drive from work in St.Charles, then back home to West Chicago (a decent drive with the exeption of the traffic.)

I am soooo close to buying 10 acres and living off the grid. I will take my 250 gallon tank to the local fast food places and make biodiesel from thier fry oil to fuel a TDi DD and a yet-to-be-built TDi buggy. Fawk Prince Abdullah, fawk Halliburton, fawk the Bushies and Fawk those 2.6 billion folks in Central Asia that all want cars in the next 10-20 years.

$2.60 a gallon for 91 in Cameron Park, CA this weekend

SeanP

Here's the scene for negotiation:

Small room, solid table in the middle. Four M3A2 concussion grenades taped down, pins straightened, strings tied to pins.
OPEC ministers seated around table.
Me leaning against frame to single (steel!) door.

"So we're agreed then - $8 per barrel for oil, right? No?"
I pull string, step back, and close and bar door. Wait for the "whump."
Open door, check the new paint job, and call the batch of "new" OPEN ministers.
Repeat as required.

I just can't feature rising gas prices as anything other than a wholesale screw job - I can remember prices well under a dollar. I don't care that Europe pays for a litre what we pay for a gallon - that's Europe's problem. Given the importance of petrochemistry in modern industry, this is just a screw job to put all the money in the Middle East (given time...)

5-90

5-90 said:
I don't care that Europe pays for a litre what we pay for a gallon - that's Europe's problem.

Yup. And what annoys me about people who try to quote this in order to somehow make our situation seem better is that they usually omit one very salient fact: that the reason fuel prices are so high there is because of the sheer amount of tax each country slaps onto every litre of fuel sold - in some cases, as much as 80% of the retail cost of a litre of fuel is tax.

some of the doom-and-gloomers have solid evidence that we wont see sub $40 bbl oil ever again. China and India both need oil to support their growing appetites. Russia is fawked because of corrupt privitization of their oil industry. Nigeria, the 5th (IIRC) argest proven reserves is going into civil war as I write this. Our entire economic structure is based on oil. Wait until the inflation kicks in based on spike in the energy market, the devaluation of the dollar hits and China/Japan start dumping/refusing to buy bonds and we have to jack up interest rates to attract more capital. I don't doubt that the world will be a better place in 10-20 years but be ready for a bumpy ride.

I digress...

We need to start moving away from foreign oil in order to protect our country.

SeanP said:
some of the doom-and-gloomers have solid evidence that we wont see sub $40 bbl oil ever again. China and India both need oil to support their growing appetites. Russia is fawked because of corrupt privitization of their oil industry. Nigeria, the 5th (IIRC) argest proven reserves is going into civil war as I write this. Our entire economic structure is based on oil. Wait until the inflation kicks in based on spike in the energy market, the devaluation of the dollar hits and China/Japan start dumping/refusing to buy bonds and we have to jack up interest rates to attract more capital. I don't doubt that the world will be a better place in 10-20 years but be ready for a bumpy ride.

I digress...

We need to start moving away from foreign oil in order to protect our country.

Russia's oil isn't going to help any. The problem is the sheer amount of money to get the oil out of the ground. Its all in frozen earth. So they either need to keep the ground defrosted or keep it frozen. If niether of those can be done, the place will collapse in on itself, then the process has to be repeated, drill holes, keep ground frozen or defrosted. I would have to say if we want oil from Nigeria just nuke the whole country go in there and take the oil, that would be the only smart move. Or other wise we might just have another Iraq and Saddam on our hands. Why do we always backup the bad dictators? Oh yeah, they're in our best intrests they give us money and oil, and promise they'll be nice to us. :banghead:

Only problem is we dont have enough domestic oil to really do that. Maybe their goal is to get us to switch over to our domestic stuff for awhile till its all out. You think they have us by the balls now, well wait until that day comes, then we'll now what real pain feels like. :moon:
I dont think thinks its a good idea, mainly because what I said, but what happens when WW3 comes and we used all our domestic oil up to make our lives a little better now, by paying a few cents less at the pump. Two main reasons why we won WWII is the vast oceans and all the good oil we had. What happens when we got no life blood (oil) to fight a large scale war, we lose and now the US is no more. :hang:

Gas here is above 2.00 dollars, and rising. Last I saw was 2.05, and 2.16 out where I work. You think you people have it bad imagine paying 60-90 bucks a week just for gas. I deliver pizzas with the XJ so gas is expensive but at least I get tips to pay for my gas, anda little to keep for upgrades so I guess it aint to bad. :D

(yeah i just found how to use smilys)

Z22_Z33 said:
Russia's oil isn't going to help any. The problem is the sheer amount of money to get the oil out of the ground. Its all in frozen earth. So they either need to keep the ground defrosted or keep it frozen. )

ummm, google "Permafrost". You will find that ground is only frozen solid a very few meters deep.

Also, google "Russian Oil" and you will see that Russia is the second largest producer of oil behind SA. Really good facts here:

http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/cabs/russia.html

take particular note that russia produces more than twice the oil that it consumes.

Our choice now is to make huge technology investments into alternative energies. We have already come a long way, solar panels are about 300% as effecient as 20 years ago. Wind turbines have posted similiar gains. The $200B allocated for Iraq war/rebuilding would have built enough wind generators to mothball every coal and oil fired electrical plant in the US.

We got them things (wind mills) out the wazoo in CA but we also have rolling black outs and brown outs more than anywhere else really. I'm not too sure as to the efficiency and effectiveness of wind power.

BlackSport96 said:
We got them things (wind mills) out the wazoo in CA but we also have rolling black outs and brown outs more than anywhere else really. I'm not too sure as to the efficiency and effectiveness of wind power.

You have to remember, if you had 10 nuke power plants in your town supplying enough power to light up three states you might not get one watt from those plants. The power generated goes into the power grid and gets sold to the highest bidder, just like oil.
Big hoorah going on up in Cape Cod Mass right now about windmills being erected, initially the power company said the towns supporting it would get free power, that statement was only made ONCE, was oral and not in writing and never to be repeated. In fact the towns that allow them to be put up on the beaches will not receive one red cent from that system but the kennedys want it...

Back