• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FF09: Schedule of Events

Vince

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
:NAXJA:

10th Moab Fall Fling

Schedule of Events

Registration will be at the Slickrock Campground, 1301, 1/2 North HWY 191 Moab, Utah 84532. The registration desk will be near the cabins located at the back of the campground.

To participate in this event you must register your XJ for participation, complete and submit the liability waiver, have your vehicle inspected for compliance with NAXJA Bylaw Section 3, and pay your event fee. You can also sign up and pay for trails, collect and buy T-Shirts, and buy raffle tickets.

Monday:
5:00pm – 8:00pm Registration Opens, Slickrock Campground in front of the cabins

Tuesday:
7:30am – 8:15am Registration & Trail sign-ups
8:30am – Trail Leaders pick up Trail Lists
9:00am – Trails
5:00pm – 8:00pm Registration, Ticket Sales

Wednesday:

Thursday:
8:00am – Prichett Canyon Start*
8:30am – All Other Trail Leaders pick up Trail Lists
9:00am – All Other Trails

Friday:

Saturday:
8:30am – Golden Spike Starts**
8:30am – All Other Trail Leaders pick up Trail Lists
9:00am – All Other Trails
8:00pm – BBQ Dinner and Raffle at Slickrock Campground

*Due to the difficulty of this trail, the Leader has specified that the maximum group size is 10 rigs. Each rig signed up for Pritchett Canyon must have a minimum of 33" tires, a front and rear locker. A winch is also recommended.

**Due to the duration and difficulty of this trail, the Leader has specified that the maximum group size is 12 rigs. Each rig signed up for Golden Spike must have a minimum of 31" tires, one locker or two LSDs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saturday:

8:00pm – BBQ Dinner and Raffle at Slickrock Campground

Dr Moab mentioned in another thread that the Community Center is booked for our event. We usually have dinner and festivities on Friday night, so it might be good to check with him to see what he committed us to.

Quiet time at Slickrock is 10:00PM. I'm honestly concerned that starting at 8:00PM might not allow sufficient time, only two hours, before running into that limit.

In years past, dinner was scheduled to begin at 6:00PM at the center. Don't know how much, if any, the center costs us to rent, but they do have tables, chairs, a full blown kitchen and a video projector for a slide show. In 2004 when Mil Thornton lead the SoCal chapter's efforts at feeding everybody, we had a prep crew over there in the afternoon getting food cooked and another crew in the evening serving the food out of steam tables to keep them hot.

We're doing Poison Spyder Mesa, Golden Crack & Gold Bar Rim all on Sat. Leaving at 9:00 AM so dinner can't be too early. Vince did say he had planned to save us some but stretching that too far may be tough. I plan to get in by 5:00, may finish as late as 7:00, & could happen depending on group, & breaks. Thom

The BBQ is set for 8pm to facilitate those wheeling.

In 2004 when Mil Thornton lead the SoCal chapter's efforts at feeding everybody, we had a prep crew over there in the afternoon getting food cooked and another crew in the evening serving the food out of steam tables to keep them hot.
Sadly, help like that wasn't forthcoming this year. If it was, we would have kept the Grand Center booking. I'm really grateful to Tom for volunteering to do the BBQ. We did explore the idea of using the Grand Center for a BBQ on Friday but it was decided that with the number of people expected to attend this year that there would be a better atmosphere at Slickrock.

I didn't realise there was a 10pm quiet time at Slickrock. At other Fall Flings I've been to I have been at Slickrock later than 10pm and it's been quite lively. I will discuss this with Tom and see what he thinks. We don't want to cause any problems at the campground.

Sadly, help like that wasn't forthcoming this year. If it was, we would have kept the Grand Center booking. I'm really grateful to Tom for volunteering to do the BBQ. We did explore the idea of using the Grand Center for a BBQ on Friday but it was decided that with the number of people expected to attend this year that there would be a better atmosphere at Slickrock.

I didn't realise there was a 10pm quiet time at Slickrock. At other Fall Flings I've been to I have been at Slickrock later than 10pm and it's been quite lively. I will discuss this with Tom and see what he thinks. We don't want to cause any problems at the campground.

https://secure.nameservers.com/moab-utah.com/slickrock/reservations.html

All reservation requests will be confirmed within 48 hours.
Check in time is 12:00, check out time 11:00
Quiet time 10:00pm. No compressors or generators, please!

We're doing Poison Spyder Mesa, Golden Crack & Gold Bar Rim all on Sat. Leaving at 9:00 AM so dinner can't be too early. Vince did say he had planned to save us some but stretching that too far may be tough. I plan to get in by 5:00, may finish as late as 7:00, & could happen depending on group, & breaks. Thom

Perhaps it may be beneficial to reexamine the schedule and determine priorities. We've all had good trail days and bad trail days, but delaying dinner plans at a venue with a quiet time restriction in order to allow for a long trail day seems a tad risky to me.

Just one opinion, if Vince can juggle the schedule around & put the long run on another day we could eat earlier if Tom can do & many can't wait to eat. If I don't start till 8:, I think I can finish eating long before 10: & don't think the quiet time will affect dinner. They do have a generator quiet time but they have been fairly good about our noise, unless we get some screamers. Chime in guys.

Are you serious Moab has 11 cop cars and you don't even live there anymore,whats this world coming too......SANTA

between the city cops and county cops it's 11 and no one will tell me exactaly how many UHP's they have now

Tom says he's happy enough to start the BBQ whatever time you want. If 8pm is too late, tell me what time you want to eat and we will change it. If there's no clear winner for what time we should change dinner to then we will leave it at 8pm. Is that fair enough.

As for the trails, it's too late to change the trail list now. I've already notified the BLM and we have weekenders showing up specifically for the Saturday schedule as it stands.

I vote 8:. Gives time to get things done & ready to leave town before I can hang loose, drink & eat. Not a big deal one way or the other.

With the number of people signed up, the BBQ will be no big deal. I can even hold some meat off the grill for late comers. I'm pretty flexible.

between the city cops and county cops it's 11 and no one will tell me exactaly how many UHP's they have now

Ya, I'm just jelous cuz I can bairly remember when I was young & wild enough to count. At my age I'm lucky to remember what gear I'm in.

Back