• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

In memory of Robert Bentley

Vince

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
My son, Robert Bentley, died on Friday 28 April 2017 aged 21. He was my passenger, my spotter, my co-pilot, my apprentice mechanic and my assistant on many of my Jeep trips. We started Jeeping together in 1999. I taught him to drive at an early age, on private land usually while at the end of the day while we were wrapping up club events in the UK. He learned how to spot for me and others and could predict other people's driving mistakes before they would drive in to them. There were a few drivers that got a lecture from a little kid of ten years old wearing a hi-vis waistcoat about what they did wrong, I know I was. At eleven years old I taught him how to spot for me in Moab and at thirteen he was my trusted spotter and helped me trail lead at NAXJA's Cherokee 25th Anniversary in Moab.

I gave him my old Jeep for his 21st birthday last year and we had planned lots of Jeep trips this year together in Wales for when I finally finished the welding on his Jeep and on mine. We had lots of trail running events planned for a UK club on the Welsh trails that we liked. He had made contact with other Jeepers and Land Rover owners in the county he was living in and often went 'green laning' (trail riding) solo in his two wheel drive delivery van, but he never actually got to drive his own Jeep on a public road.

Right now I don't know if I will ever be able to get back in my Jeep and drive any trails again. I'm going to finish the work on his XJ and just keep it in my garage. My wife and I might drive it around at home once in a while like he did. We miss him.

So here is one of the only videos I have of Robert driving. The video doesn't give justice to the cross axle obstacle that I made at home. It needed a particular line to get through and I proved it to him by showing him how I could get my 35" tyre XJ with massive articulation cross axled in it. He worked out his own way to do this obstacle in his own Jeep.

https://youtu.be/IYu7oBL0U6s

Last edited:
My deepest condolences Vince.. so sorry for your and the wife's loss. Your son Robert is in our prayers here.

Vince, we have never met.. but you'v been around these parts for a long time now and I know how many close friends you and Robert have here and met at NAXJA events stateside. I hope our paths cross sometime Sir..

Vince, my dear friend, I am heartbroken to hear this news. Deepest condolences to you and Rachel. I was recently thinking that's it's been a while since we've communicated. But this is certainly not the way that I wanted to reconnect. I have great memories of wheeling with you guys. I recently lost my sister, so I know some of what you're going through. But losing a child, especially so young, has to be the worst. I will keep you, Rachel, and Robert in my thoughts and prayers. And I hope to see you guys in the future.

Sorry to here about your son.

Robert,

My sincerest of heartfelt condolences. I know too well that there is absolutely nothing that can be said to lighten your heart. One day the painful memories will turn to faint smiles; one day even a laugh.
It takes time. It takes a painfully long time, but it does and it will even happen for you. Having your spirit crushed and your bloodied heart ripped from your chest will leave some nasty scars. Again, these will heal and fade with the slow passage of time. There will be some scars that will always remain, even though, they will one day be the focus of our existence. We do make it through to bright, warm sunlit days.

I wish you comfort in your faith; healing through your trust in it. I will keep you and yours in my thoughts and prayers.

Tim Bentley

Godspeed. I'm saddened to hear of your son's passing. Prayers with you all. You can rest knowing that he completed the work God asked of him here on earth and that He was ready to bring Robert home.

Thanks all for your kind words.
I am hurriedly trying to get his XJ road legal again so it can be used to carry his coffin to the crematorium. I finished the welding in the rear quarters today and have a few mechanical jobs to do before the safety inspection test. If it passes the test, I will cancel the booking for the funeral director's hearse and start work on making a raised deck in his XJ for the coffin. This will be our last Jeep trip together.

Vince, I am truly sorry for your loss. No parent should have to go through the hardship of losing a child.

My deepest condolences, we've never met, but this has to be tough to go through, I lost my mother when I was 6, I could only imagine now as a father of a soon to be 6 year old son how much harder it would be as a parent to lose a child so young.

So sorry to hear this news. Prayers to your family.

Geez, just noticed this. I remember running with you guys at the 25th, and I know I've got a bunch of pics with you and the family in my archives.

So sorry for your loss.

Back