NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old May 9th, 2003, 12:53
NAXJA Forum User

Removing front D44 axles (1979 bronco)

I pulled the hub and rotor assembly, took off the 5 bolt holding the flange, and nothing will budge. Do I use a BFH or what?? Detailed instructions would really help me as I'm new at this.

thanks
CJS
Old May 10th, 2003, 05:51
NAXJA Forum User

I assume when you say "flange" you mean the spindle flange. It has to come off to pull the axle shaft. They can be a pain if they haven't been pulled in years. You can use the BFH but do not hit the thread or bearing surfaces on the spindle (unless you are going to replace them anyway). I have a spindle puller that I bought a few years ago. The good news is that once you get it off this time it will be easy in the future.
Old May 10th, 2003, 06:52
NAXJA Forum User

Spindle puller is the best way. I put the nuts back on and protected them with a block of wood and worked the spindle off with a hammer. I've also used a chisel between the spindle and knuckle...but that method can leave a few scratches and dents.
Old May 10th, 2003, 06:53
NAXJA Forum User

Rubber mallet. Knock it back & forth until it works lose.

Matt