• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cleaner Air with the snorkel...

TOZOVR

NAXJA Member #713
For the long haul wheelers...

It's a centrifugal prefilter used on diesels and stuff....Safari/ARB sells this 7" dealy for about $85...I tracked them down through a few of the austrailin guys running them and it turns out that Donaldson filter makes them here in the good ol' USA :)

basically it sucks the air in at the base of the filter and spins it so the crap (water and salt and debris) fling outwards into the outer bowl. The guys in Aus and africa seem to swear by them (for dust reasons) I figured it would be decent to run it here during the coastal winter with all the Scheiße that gets flung up....I may or may not run it come spring/summer, it will largely depend upon the terrain we're trekking through.

When it was snowing earlier I would give it gas and watch it suck the snow in and spin it to the outside...cool beans.

I also have a 10" version that I'm going to try as well (need to determine CFM capability on both)

donaldson.JPG

Doesn't look as butch as the snout the give ya, but I figure it's a good idea for the winter.

4.jpg

3.jpg

Cheers crew!!

RJ

Last edited:
I really like the pre-filter. Did you find it on a web site or did you have to call them? I t looks like it would help keep some of the water and mud from gathering in the snorkel. I usually just turn my intake around whe I am going to be in some heavy mud or water.

Hey I was just asked about those at work the other day, we were thinking of adding them to most of our fleet. They are pretty popular in the construction industry, several companies are making them now, in different types of materials and sizes. They do work good in the environment that they were intended for, as in extremely dusty conditions. They use centrifugal (centripital) force to separate the debris from the air. There are some disadvantages to these tho, they do restrict air flow and create some turbulance to the flow of air down your intake which could mean a loss of some power and that nice Ram air effect that a snorkle would give you. But if you are running in a very dirty environment (aka off road), they are a very good way of prolonging the life of your air filter especially you that are using K&N filters.

Last edited:
Back